Top Tiger Barb Bullying Others

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my tiger barbs bullies the other 4 around. He always chases them around and picks their fins. One of my barbs had his tail and analfin bitten almost completely off. What can I do about this?

username

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: Top Barb Bullying Others

tb19 said:
One of my tiger barbs bullies the other 4 around.  He always chases them around and picks their fins.  One of my barbs had his tail and analfin bitten almost completely off.  What can  I do about this?
If it's fin rot then you should buy fin rot tablets for it

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

i dont think it is fin rot...i him chase the others and nip their fins

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Sorry to hear about that. I can't be of much help, I just wanted to say it's a shame because I really wanted these. Maybe they aren't the best choice of fish.

If it were me I'd just remove the bully since he's the only problem in the fish tank. But that's just me...

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score

^^^ One thing I tried with one of my "bully" fish once was buying a breeding net, and keeping her in that, in the tank on her own for a few days, it gave the others time to heal, and the bully fish either forgot, or they'd established a new pecking order or something, coz she didn't do it again...

Just an idea...

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Well, it's definately worth trying. That's one thing I have yet to get but I think I will buy one in case I have a bullying fish in the future. Maybe some fish just need a time out.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

yeah im thinking of probably seperating the tank with a net

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I went out and bought 3 of them. One of them was chasing the other 2 around and now those 2 are hiding behind my tallest plant while the bully is waiting for them to come out. Someone told me if I had 6 of them, this may not be a problem. So I am going to get 3 more later on.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

I had six but that didnt help. He was still they bully

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Well that sucks. On a lighter note, one of them is done hiding and is currently butting heads with the bully. They're grinding their heads againsts each other, I guess establishing the rank? I am going to try to add 3 more though and see if that doesn't help me and, I am going to get a breeding net when I go get the rest of them.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

yeah they're establishing their rank.. my green one did that with a different barb. I guess it didnt matter cause they both get bullied by the main barb, lol . I dont know if i should add another barb (dont want to overstock) but since there are only 5.....I dont really feel like spending money on a breeding net because once im done seperating them... then i wont have any use for it because i dont actually plan on breeding them....so i was thinking of making my own net.

Harley

Valued Member
Reaction score

when you do your next water change take all your fish out change the water and rearange the decor of the tank then put all your fish in but the bullie let them get used to there suroundings then put in the bullie. if this does not work a timeout should it worked for me! siriously! (catch the bulling fish in a net and hold it to the side of the tank and then change the decore so that the bullie looses all sence of teritory!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom