Top Tank Decor Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by sleow, Apr 18, 2018.

1. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Hi all! New member here.

I am currently in the process of getting an new 30 gallon freshwater tank up and running. All water levels are looking good. I'm finishing up a fish-in cycle with a small school of tetras and several live plants.

The one thing I am having issues with is filling the top of my tank. All of my decor and plants sit low in the tank, only filling it up about half way. The top half is completely open and I am hoping you all have some ideas as to how to fill it up!

My goal is to have a betta sorority eventually so I'd like to have as many hiding places as possible throughout all levels of the tank. I'll try to upload a picture of what I have right now and hope you all can help! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

If you want to fill it to the top, plant some Bacopa caroliniana

3. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Well some floating plants and/or tall growing stem plants would help. For floaters perhaps water sprite or water lettuce. Some stem plants can get tall but scraggly looking towards the bottom. Jungle val is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that gets really tall (several feet) and looks good from top to bottom. The only problem is that once established it can grow... quite a bit. Perhaps some type of aponogeton or tiger lotus? I don't know much about these though..

4. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

in my tanks I put fake grass plots and put them upside down

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Do these grow okay in low-ish lighting? It gets a lot of morning sun, but is otherwise only lit with the aquarium light.

I have a couple small jungle val plants right now, so I guess I just need to wait for them to mature a bit. I will look into the other two though! Thanks!

6. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Yes, it can grow in low light

7. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Anacharis is a nice background plant, and very cheap. It grows like nuts though, so be prepared for some maintenance. Once it reaches the top, if starts to bow over and grow across the top so it has this sort of cool jungle effect. Good luck on the sorority!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice