Top Of Solid Wood Cabinet Is Bowed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Casperandruby, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Casperandruby

CasperandrubyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Just brought home a 2nd hand 150g and solid wood cabinet.I have 10mm styrofoam under the tank,which is still empty and I have noticed a gap in the centre where the tank is sitting 3mm above the foam. I’ve realised that the top of the cabinet is bowed.Does this matter?

2. pagoda

pagodaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +600
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It might have got damp due to an aquarium leak..or something along those lines maybe.

Make sure that the internal fixings inside the unit have not rusted too as if the aquarium has leaked or dribbled the entire unit might be below strength, thus needing to be replaced. An aquarium of the size you have will be extremely heavy and you don't want the unit under it to go down like a pack of cards unexpectedly either whilst filling or later on down the line

Personally once I am sure that the unit is fine albeit bowed on top I would go to a builder's merchants or kitchen shop and buy a piece of kitchen worktop the same size as the wooden unit, fix it to the wooden unit to strengthen and level it, then put the aquarium on top

3. OP
    OP
    Casperandruby

CasperandrubyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    That’s what I will do, thanks so much,pagoda.