Top Fin Starter Kits

• Thread starter shanshansmash
  • Start date

shanshansmash

I'm looking at getting a 20G top fin starter kit as my QT tank. I plan to have this continuously running. Are these reliable tanks? Last thing I want is a leak

Viralology

Very reliable at least with my experience, Only thing I would recommend upgrading would be the filter. My filter stopped working within 3 months. Other than that I have had the tank for over 2 years now as a quartine system and it has yet to let me down.

FishFor2018

Well Known
The tank is okay but it’s better and cheaper to get everything separately because the filters (most) in starter kits are crapy

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Besides being a “starter” tank. It is a very reliable QT tank knowing you understand QT processes

shanshansmash

FishFor2018 said:
The tank is okay but it’s better and cheaper to get everything separately because the filters (most) in starter kits are crapy
I was looking into this. I don't want to buy used because you never know. So I was looking at buying everything separately and it's more expensive.

Viralology

shanshansmash said:
I was looking into this. I don't want to buy used because you never know. So I was looking at buying everything separately and it's more expensive.
How much is the kit?

georgelee1000

Well Known
When Petco has 1 dollar a gallon sale. It’s way better to assemble everything vs a kit.

shanshansmash

Viralology

shanshansmash said:
As stated above you might be better of waiting for a 1 dollar a gallon sale. But if you need the tank now that could be an option I just strongly recommend a better filter.

shanshansmash

Viralology said:
As stated above you might be better of waiting for a 1 dollar a gallon sale. But if you need the tank now that could be an option I just strongly recommend a better filter.
I was going to order some sponge filters my 60 gallon is done cycling. I have my original fish in it and my old tank has been rehomed because it's a 20 gallon hex tall. So I need to get a qt if I want to start adding fish. Lol I'm itching to add some

Viralology

shanshansmash said:
I was going to order some sponge filters my 60 gallon is done cycling. I have my original fish in it and my old tank has been rehomed because it's a 20 gallon hex tall. So I need to get a qt if I want to start adding fish. Lol I'm itching to add some
Then go for it. If you already have the media you can get it started up quick.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Definitely wait for the $1 a gallon deal! That’s the only reason I got my 29 Gallon. It turned out to be cheaper than the kit. I was also able to pick a nice filter, lid, light, and heater.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
I bought a 20 gallon tall kit from Petsmart last year. The tank and hood (with integrated light) is good but the filter and heater isn't very good. I'm currently using it again as a fry grow out tank but I have 2 sponge filters and an Aqueon 100w heater. The TopFin heater kept getting moisture inside the glass. I returned it twice and the 2nd time I asked for the Aqueon and the mgr agreed. The filter was replaced with a AquaClear 50 (now on my shrimp tank) and it sits in a parts bucket.

If you have a Pets Supplies Plus near you, they have a DPG sale going on now.

Top Bottom