Top Fin Starter Kits

  • Thread starter shanshansmash
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

shanshansmash

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
I'm looking at getting a 20G top fin starter kit as my QT tank. I plan to have this continuously running. Are these reliable tanks? Last thing I want is a leak
 
  • #2

Viralology

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
Very reliable at least with my experience, Only thing I would recommend upgrading would be the filter. My filter stopped working within 3 months. Other than that I have had the tank for over 2 years now as a quartine system and it has yet to let me down.
 
  • #3

FishFor2018

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,516
The tank is okay but it’s better and cheaper to get everything separately because the filters (most) in starter kits are crapy
 
  • #4

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,327
Besides being a “starter” tank. It is a very reliable QT tank knowing you understand QT processes
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

shanshansmash

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
FishFor2018 said:
The tank is okay but it’s better and cheaper to get everything separately because the filters (most) in starter kits are crapy
I was looking into this. I don't want to buy used because you never know. So I was looking at buying everything separately and it's more expensive.
 
  • #6

Viralology

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
shanshansmash said:
I was looking into this. I don't want to buy used because you never know. So I was looking at buying everything separately and it's more expensive.
How much is the kit?
 
  • #7

georgelee1000

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
When Petco has 1 dollar a gallon sale. It’s way better to assemble everything vs a kit.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

shanshansmash

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
  • #9

Viralology

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
shanshansmash said:
As stated above you might be better of waiting for a 1 dollar a gallon sale. But if you need the tank now that could be an option I just strongly recommend a better filter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

shanshansmash

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
Viralology said:
As stated above you might be better of waiting for a 1 dollar a gallon sale. But if you need the tank now that could be an option I just strongly recommend a better filter.
I was going to order some sponge filters my 60 gallon is done cycling. I have my original fish in it and my old tank has been rehomed because it's a 20 gallon hex tall. So I need to get a qt if I want to start adding fish. Lol I'm itching to add some
 
  • #11

Viralology

Active Member
Member
Messages
155
shanshansmash said:
I was going to order some sponge filters my 60 gallon is done cycling. I have my original fish in it and my old tank has been rehomed because it's a 20 gallon hex tall. So I need to get a qt if I want to start adding fish. Lol I'm itching to add some
Then go for it. If you already have the media you can get it started up quick.
 
  • #12

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,298
Definitely wait for the $1 a gallon deal! That’s the only reason I got my 29 Gallon. It turned out to be cheaper than the kit. I was also able to pick a nice filter, lid, light, and heater.
 
  • #13

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,485
I bought a 20 gallon tall kit from Petsmart last year. The tank and hood (with integrated light) is good but the filter and heater isn't very good. I'm currently using it again as a fry grow out tank but I have 2 sponge filters and an Aqueon 100w heater. The TopFin heater kept getting moisture inside the glass. I returned it twice and the 2nd time I asked for the Aqueon and the mgr agreed. The filter was replaced with a AquaClear 50 (now on my shrimp tank) and it sits in a parts bucket.

If you have a Pets Supplies Plus near you, they have a DPG sale going on now.
 
Top Bottom