Top Fin Power Filter 10 Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by mpq1996, Apr 24, 2017.

1. mpq1996

mpq1996 New Member Member

What is the green thing that sets infront of the cartridge? The cartridge is not in in this picture, because it is my hospital tank. But what purpose does the green thing serve? do i need to clean it all all? Do i meed to take it out during medication?
    31842741fe18c64aa4d05ca97d991189.jpg

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

The "green" thing is what your beneficial bacteria (BB) clings to enabling you to change cartridges and keep BB in the filter. Do not clean it. What are you medicating for?

3. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Ok that was my guess and i havnt cleaned it. And a few of my tetras got cotton mouth. I am Treating them with aquarium salt and pimafix

4. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

I have actually been treating them a couple weeks and all but one has gotten much better so i just started with aquarium salt yesterday

5. dcutl002

In that case you may want to clean it so that you do not contaminate the tank once the sickness is gone.

6. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Clean it now or after? the big tank has a seperate filter

7. dcutl002

If it (the green thing) has been exposed to whatever sickness that the fish had I would clean it and place it back in after the signs are gone.. It would be a shame to kill the cotton mouth only to have it return.

8. OP
    OP
    mpq1996

Ok thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice