Top Fin Heater Issues?

ohdearcheesus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’ve got a 100w Top Fin Heater for my tank, which I got in the 20 gallon tank starter kit they’ve got. It seems to be heating fairly alright, though the temperature markers on the heater are a little off versus the temperature it actually heats to.

However, there’s a weird thing going on with the rubbery bit on the bottom end of the heater. It looks warped and like maybe the heat from the heater has messed it up?

I currently only have a couple snails in the tank as my Betta died and I’m moving soon, so I want to minimize stress on the fish. I’m worried though that whatever’s happening with he heater will be an issue for the fish.

Once I’ve got the money, I think I’m going to go ahead and buy a better heater, but I’m still curious—has anyone had this happen or seen it happen before? What’s causing it and will it harm anything?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old is the heater? I bought a 20g kit and had the heater replaced twice. The 3rd time I asked for an Aqueon 100w as a replacement and they agreed. The Aqueon heater hasn't had any issues.

ohdearcheesus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DarkOne said:
How old is the heater? I bought a 20g kit and had the heater replaced twice. The 3rd time I asked for an Aqueon 100w as a replacement and they agreed. The Aqueon heater hasn't had any issues.
It's only about 2 months old at this point. I set up the tank around the 15th of March this year.

I'll look into an Aqueon heater! The only other brand I've had experience with is Tetra, which I've had with my 10 gallon tanks.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take the TopFin to any PetSmart and they should exchange it for another one. You can ask them to replace it with an Aqueon which is cheaper than the retail TopFin 100w heater.

ohdearcheesus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DarkOne said:
Take the TopFin to any PetSmart and they should exchange it for another one. You can ask them to replace it with an Aqueon which is cheaper than the retail TopFin 100w heater.
Alright! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! Haha the TopFin heater has so many one star reviews on their site.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom