Top Fin Glass Canopy Won’t Fit!

Kobiashi3

So I have a 29” Top Fin tank and I need to replace the stock hood with a glass canopy for my new lights coming in tomorrow. I bought the 30” Top Fin glass canopy yesterday and it doesn’t fit! How can they make canopys that don’t even for their own tanks? Can anyone point me in the right direction of a glass canopy that will fit my tank? I’ve read some people say the Marineland Canopy will got Top Fin tanks but I’m not sure which one would need. I also don’t want to order one and have the same issue I have now. I gotta take this one back to PetSmart today. Please help!

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
You could try an Aqueon versa top. If you’re tank is 29” why would u buy the 30”?

ghostdawg

Well Known
The 30" Aqueon versa top does say it will fit a 20L, 29 & 37. I just got one for my 20L recently. I can't verify it will work with a 29 though!

OP
K

Kobiashi3

You could try an Aqueon versa top. If you’re tank is 29” why would u buy the 30”?

Because that’s the top that is “supposed” to fit my tank made by Top Fin. It doesn’t fit. After reading reviews it seems as if the 29” tank does not have a canopy made by Top Fin that actually fits. The other tank sizes however do have canopy’s that fit. I’m prob going to just get two pieces of glass cut at Lowe’s and make a DIY sliding top from some videos I have found. Unless someone with a 29” Top Fin aquarium kit has a canopy that worked for them DIY is prob my best option.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

The 30" Aqueon versa top does say it will fit a 20L, 29 & 37. I just got one for my 20L recently. I can't verify it will work with a 29 though!
I would hate to order one, wait for it and then discover it doesn’t fit either. Unless I can buy one locally to test? Did u buy it online or at a store?

ghostdawg

Well Known
Kobiashi3 I purchased mine from the local Petco store. I try to buy locally if possible, because for me, shipping is a pain!

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Kobiashi3 I purchased mine from the local Petco store. I try to buy locally if possible, because for me, shipping is a pain!
Me too!
I only order online if I can’t find it locally.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
How does it not fit? Is it too long, too wide?
How many gallons is your tank?

I don’t think an Aqueon top will work because Aqueon tanks tend to be wider.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Maybe when u go to the store they will have a versa too and u can ask them to try it on one of their display tanks...just another thought

OP
K

Kobiashi3

How does it not fit? Is it too long, too wide?

I don’t think an Aqueon top will work because Aqueon tanks tend to be wider.
It’s supposed to sit the the groove in the tank where the stock lid sits but it’s slightly too long so it slips and falls in the tank. It’s not long enough to just sit on the top and a bit too long to fit where the stock lid does.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
It’s supposed to sit the the groove in the tank where the stock lid sits but it’s slightly too long so it slips and falls in the tank. It’s not long enough to just sit on the top and a bit too long to fit where the stock lid does.
Hmm... 29 gallon top fin tanks are generalized as 30” long, whether it is or not, so a 30” top fin top for a 29 or 20L should fit. It could be the top you got was made wrong. Not all Aqueon versa tops fit all the Aqueon tanks they’re supposed to fit because of manufacturing errors, same thing with other brands.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Hmm... 29 gallon top fin tanks are generalized as 30” long, whether it is or not, so a 30” top fin top for a 29 or 20L should fit. It could be the top you got was made wrong. Not all Aqueon versa tops fit all the Aqueon tanks they’re supposed to fit because of manufacturing errors, same thing with other brands.
I’m just going to do this but the front to back sliding version. It will end up being cheaper than the $20 canopy that doesn’t fit!

faydout

Well Known
I've debated doing this for my 40B, but using polycarbonate instead of having glass cut to fit. I'm just not sure about whether the polycarbonate is a better than glass long term.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
I’m just going to do this but the front to back sliding version. It will end up being cheaper than the $20 canopy that doesn’t fit!

Cool lids! I might do this one day!

CTYankee79

Well Known

Just a few vids about using polycarbonate lids. Seems like a good option. faydout one of those vids is a glass vs poly comparison.

NBettas83

Well Known
Because that’s the top that is “supposed” to fit my tank made by Top Fin. It doesn’t fit. After reading reviews it seems as if the 29” tank does not have a canopy made by Top Fin that actually fits. The other tank sizes however do have canopy’s that fit. I’m prob going to just get two pieces of glass cut at Lowe’s and make a DIY sliding top from some videos I have found. Unless someone with a 29” Top Fin aquarium kit has a canopy that worked for them DIY is prob my best option.
The tanks (at least the rectangular glass tanks, like in the essentials kit) are actually made by Aqueon. They are sold by PetSmart. I would get the Aqueon Versa-top if I were you.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

The tanks (at least the rectangular glass tanks, like in the essentials kit) are actually made by Aqueon. They are sold by PetSmart. I would get the Aqueon Versa-top if I were you.
I’m picking up the Aqueon Versa 30” glass canopy today so fingers crossed that it will fit. I’m seeing more people say what you said about them producing the Top Fin tanks so that should work...hopefully! Update later this evening after installation and my new lights arrive.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

I got these delivered today.

NICREW ClassicLED Plus Planted Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum LED Fish Tank Light for Freshwater Plants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6XD2FH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aGt9EbYBM6V3B

FYI...the Aqueon lid will sit on top but it is slightly too big to fit in the groove where the stock lid sits.

I think I will just either have the glass cut to fit or get a glass cutter from Lowe’s some sandpaper and do it myself. Videos makes cutting glass like this look easy but I’ve never cut glass at home. Has anyone done this? Should I just take it somewhere to get cut or would it be easy to do it at home?

OP
K

Kobiashi3

I called Aqueon and they said they don’t make the Top Fin tanks. They are produced by Marineland. Still searching for a canopy that will fit my tank or someone that can cut this Versa canopy to fit. The glass can be cut but so far every place I call says they can’t cut the hinges only the glass. Anyone know how to detach the glass from the hinge so at least I can get the glass cut and then figure out the hinge situation? This is a headache. Right now I just have a piece of glass (bought and cut at Lowe’s) covering the tank so I can use the new lights. I never imagined it would be this difficult to find a canopy that fits.

NBettas83

Well Known
I called Aqueon and they said they don’t make the Top Fin tanks. They are produced by Marineland. Still searching for a canopy that will fit my tank or someone that can cut this Versa canopy to fit. The glass can be cut but so far every place I call says they can’t cut the hinges only the glass. Anyone know how to detach the glass from the hinge so at least I can get the glass cut and then figure out the hinge situation? This is a headache. Right now I just have a piece of glass (bought and cut at Lowe’s) covering the tank so I can use the new lights. I never imagined it would be this difficult to find a canopy that fits.
Oh, so I guess the tanks are Marineland. Huh. I got a Versatop and it worked, not sure about the tanks other than the glass 10 gal.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Seems like the 29 gallon tanks don’t have anything that fits perfectly. This Versa too will on Mon after this glass is cut.

NBettas83

Well Known
This might be off topic, but I never understood 29 gallons. Why can't we just have 30 gallons??? Can it be even please? Why 29 and not 30? I just don't get it lol.

ghostdawg

Well Known
Does anyone know if it will fit the 37g tank? It does state on the box to fit 20L, 29 & 37. It does fit the 20 long perfect!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Books&Fish
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
MommaWilde
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
vskfish

Did You Know...

Fish are one of the most popular pets in America and aquarium keeping is one of the fastest growing hobbies... Nearly 12% of all households in the USA own at least 1 fish. Freshwater is still way more popular most likely due to initial setup costs.

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom