Top Fin filter noise. Normal?

Kuebeecee

A few years ago I got a little Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit. I never had issues with it and it’s still running great today.

I recently purchased the same starter kit, but for a 55 gallon. I noticed the filter seemed relatively loud, but I have no idea if this is normal or not. My 10 gallon filter is completely silent, so I assumed some noise would come with a larger filter.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal noise, or if this is something else? I just set this tank up five days ago, and the Top Fin filter is brand new.

Filter Noise

FoldedCheese

Yes, that level of loudness is totally normal.

BigManAquatics

Yeah, they get kinda noisy once you get past the 10g size of the Top Fins. If you get more into the hobby, there are certainly other options out there, but not necessarily cheap, either.

Kuebeecee

Yeah, they get kinda noisy once you get past the 10g size of the Top Fins. If you get more into the hobby, there are certainly other options out there, but not necessarily cheap, either.
I don’t mind the noise too much. I have sensitive hearing when it comes to these high and low frequencies that electronics put out, so I think it tends to bother me more than others.

My house is pretty small, and the tank is basically in the center of it. I’m trying to find the QUIETEST filter and air pump because the sounds tend to be heard in other rooms. So I am open to suggestions - no budget.

Islandvic

The Silenstream filter that came with my 55g has been running for around 2 1/2 years now and it's still quiet. Though I've had a Silenstream 20 get real noisy after awhile.

Try taking the impeller out and give it a good cleaning, making sure it freely spins on its shaft.

It could have sucked up some sand or subatrate.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Epicoz
Replies
Views
Lovecich
Replies
Views
Tani
  • Question
Replies