Top Fin Enchant 3.5g Modified For A Betta

Jocelyn Adelman
Ot sure if the light you have will support it, but mine regularly flower when they reach the surface

Advertisement
Dch48
The water does not drop down if you fill the tank correctly. Fill it just to the bottom edge of the black rI'm and over the filter outlet and then all is well. The only strong currents are at the surface and the rest of the tank is very quiet with just slight water movement. Personally, I hate seeing the surface level of the water in any tank and always keep them filled to the bottom edge of the rim. Filled correctly, there are no modifications needed for a betta in this tank. My betta is very happy in it. The pictures of your tank show that the water level is too low.

Dch48

WP_20180408_11_13_16_Pro%202_zpscet4azlc.jpg My Betta. He likes to hide behind the filter sometimes

Advertisement
Dch48
His name is Waldo

WP_20180408_11_12_07_Pro_zpsawzh4z9a.jpg

Bubba's Mom
I have same tank and Bubba doesn't seem to mind the current. He had Fin Rot when I got him from Petsmart on Janurary 1o of this year and he almost died- lost almost entire back fin. I had to go through 2 rounds of antibiotic but he kicked it! His bad fin plus the others keep growing. He is all red with a blue body. In the past month however he seems to be loosing the red on the bad fin that had grown out- like on the new growth part. Cant make out what it is - not holes or tears just patches in different sizes changing color from red to translucent At first I thought he had a disease but his other fins are very healthy. His tank is filtered and heated. I do 25% change every 2 weeks per my Aquatics company in town. Anyone encounter this change of color? Maybe his fin wasn't too strong as it regrew?? much appreciate any thoughts! THX YOU

Advertisement
Dch48
From what I have always seen, transparent areas are new growth. The color comes in later. His fins are probably still regrowing.

Waldo has been through a couple of name changes but Benny seems to be the one that has stuck. He was only Waldo because he liked to hide a lot in the beginning. Now he's a pig and always wants to eat and gets excited when he sees me come in the room and hangs under the feeding hatch looking up for things that he grabs as soon as they hit the water. I cycled the tank with him in it but he seems to have suffered no ill effects. Had him 6 weeks today.

Bubba's Mom

IMG_5995.PNG
yeah I changed his name to Bubba since we are in the South and it suits him. He has that transparent new growth on the tips of all the fins. The changing color is only on the fin that disintegrated - poop baby- didn't eat for a week! Let me attach some s so the fin is visible. This only started like a month ago. Think it may be related to the new growth- I'm thnkning if it was a disease it would have affected the other fins as well. I am going to the premier aquatics place in town tomorrow to get their advise. He eats and swans and enjoys classical music!

Attachments

• IMG_5996.PNG
    IMG_5996.PNG
    87.8 KB · Views: 83
Advertisement
Bubba's Mom

IMG_5993.PNG

Dch48
Benny will sometimes get a split in one of his fins but the next day, it's gone.

Advertisement
Bubba's Mom
yes- pretty amazing- Bubba just had one of those tiny holes on Wednesday and today it is barely there. So don't think its my water as the hole wouldn't heal. I'm starting to think its the filter. I will post whatever the aquatic store associate says. Not going back to Petsmart!

Bubba's Mom
Thx for your comment!

Advertisement
Nanologist
View attachment 439451
yeah I changed his name to Bubba since we are in the South and it suits him. He has that transparent new growth on the tips of all the fins. The changing color is only on the fin that disintegrated - poop baby- didn't eat for a week! Let me attach some s so the fin is visible. This only started like a month ago. Think it may be related to the new growth- I'm thnkning if it was a disease it would have affected the other fins as well. I am going to the premier aquatics place in town tomorrow to get their advise. He eats and swans and enjoys classical music!
Wow, he looks so much like mine did! From what I can see, he looks to be recovering. Sometimes Phil may get a split in his tail or dorsal bit it recovers fairly quickly. Many of the bettas with the longer flowing dorsals or tails are prone to it but if the water quality is good they heal up within a few weeks. I've never had to use any sort of medication or remedy. Just keep good water parameters.

Dch48
This tank is really good and really doesn't need any more than it comes with except a small heater. Even the light is sufficient. I put in an Anubias Nana and a Windelov Java Fern. The Anubias has a new leaf and the Fern is growing those lacy ends on the shoots that didn't have them. I am using the little 20 watt TopFin Betta heater and it keeps the tank steady at 78F. I've had it 6 weeks now and I'm still using the original filter cartridges since the flow rate seems about the same.

I change a gallon of the water every Sunday and don't use anything but the TopFin dechlorinator in the new water. Benny has two tank mates. A black Mystery snail named Smokey and a zebra Nerite snail called Newman

Dch48

tmp-cam-971446005.jpg
tmp-cam-7908270.jpg

Bubba's Mom
THANKS! went to aquatic shop on Sunday and they recommended Seachams Nourish which I am adding to hI diet ( soaking pellets ) I feed him Seachem Beatta pellets which are smaller and feed 5 each day - The sales girl told me I was feeding too much. The Nitrate was slightly elevated as was the ammonia I came hope him Deep Blue Ammonia filter pads and they lowered Ammonia overnight! However nitrite still elevated. I used to clean tank 20% water change every week

Then was told since I have filter and heater to go to every other week, Think thetas when the Nitrites went up- may go back to weekly changes.

Can anyone share: 1. How much they feed their Betta- 2. In a 3.5 gal filter and heated tank how often should I change water, also change filter cartridges This is a Top Fin tank I bought at Petsmart and I condition the water with Top Fin before I change it. 3. If anyone is using Deep Blue Ammonia Reducing ( cut by the piece ) filter pad have they found it leaves sandy residue at top of water-- is this harmful to Betta.

Sorry for all the questions _ I am new to this and want to make sure I am doing this right. Oh yes- he is bny himself in tank. THANK YOU

Nanologist
1. How much they feed their Betta- 2. In a 3.5 gal filter and heated tank how often should I change water, also change filter cartridges This is a Top Fin tank I bought at Petsmart and I condition the water with Top Fin before I change it. 3. If anyone is using Deep Blue Ammonia Reducing ( cut by the piece ) filter pad have they found it leaves sandy residue at top of water-- is this harmful to Betta.
1. I alternate between 3-5 pellets of Betta Buffet and 3-5 HikarI frozen mysis shrimp daily, depending on the size of the food or how full his stomach appears.

2. I've never changed the filter cartridge since buying the tank over a year ago. It sounds like your filter isn't cycled, otherwise it would be turning the ammonia into nitrates. You should read up on the nitrogen cycle.

3. Sorry, I've never used an ammonia reducing material so I can't answer this last one. I've just relied on a properly cycled filter with extra bio media like Fluval Biomax or Marine Pure which relies on natural bacteria to convert ammonia into nitrates. Then I perform weekly water changes of 30%.

Dch48
THANKS! went to aquatic shop on Sunday and they recommended Seachams Nourish which I am adding to hI diet ( soaking pellets ) I feed him Seachem Beatta pellets which are smaller and feed 5 each day - The sales girl told me I was feeding too much. The Nitrate was slightly elevated as was the ammonia I came hope him Deep Blue Ammonia filter pads and they lowered Ammonia overnight! However nitrite still elevated. I used to clean tank 20% water change every week

Then was told since I have filter and heater to go to every other week, Think thetas when the Nitrites went up- may go back to weekly changes.

Can anyone share: 1. How much they feed their Betta- 2. In a 3.5 gal filter and heated tank how often should I change water, also change filter cartridges This is a Top Fin tank I bought at Petsmart and I condition the water with Top Fin before I change it. 3. If anyone is using Deep Blue Ammonia Reducing ( cut by the piece ) filter pad have they found it leaves sandy residue at top of water-- is this harmful to Betta.

Sorry for all the questions _ I am new to this and want to make sure I am doing this right. Oh yes- he is bny himself in tank. THANK YOU
With high nitrite readings you should be changing at least a gallon of the water every 2 days, or maybe every day if they are really high. Nitrites are worse than ammonia since most of the ammonia showing in a test result will be non-toxic. If the tank is less than 4 weeks old, then it's still cycling. If it's an "established" tank then there's a problem. If nitrites go too high they can actually kill off the bacteria that convert them to nitrates.

I would say 4 or 5 pellets a day is not overfeeding.

Fanatic
I just wanted to comment that this was the first thread I discovered which led me to ask Nanologist to help me cycle
Remember that, greenbonsai?

stella1979
I just wanted to comment that this was the first thread I discovered which led me to ask Nanologist to help me cycle
That's awesome. Yep, I remember those days too, and still often refer to Nanologist as GB.

Bubba's Mom
Thanks for all the responses!! Glad to hear my feeding is not so off the Aquatocs pro told me to feed every other day 3-4 and I thought that was too low.

Looking back I think the Nitrites went up when I switched to water changes every other week per my Aquatics store pro. I will go back to what I did prior which was weekly changes of 20%.

It is not way high-still pale pink on my test kit-- its still in the "caution' range. But I really want it perfect~
Ammonia went down due to reducer pad but sure wish I knew if I am doing this right. I feel I haven't grasped the Cycling process though the Aquatics pro checked water sample and wasn't alarmed.

I got him almost 5 months ago- He had fin rot and I medicated him and his tail has fully grown back ( had lost it almost entirely )- so water can't be that bad off I imagine. He is very active and actually bit me tonight as I was putting pellet in his tank. He is breathing under water but hasn't made a bubble nest in almost a month which worries me...should I be?He made some huge ones a few months back.

Really appreciate the support from this site. He is such a little character and I want him to have a good long life! And your experiences are a big help! THANK YOU

Bubba's Mom
Bubba is in a heated filtered 3.5 gallon with silk plants and a thermometer - and Classical music which he likes!

Bubba's Mom
WALDO Is beautiful!

Dch48
WALDO Is beautiful!
He's Benny now lol, I've had him for over 6 weeks now and he's very active and eats like a pig. He has never even tried to build a nest though.

Nanologist
Of course! The nitrogen cycle is key in keeping healthy water and happy fish, so I enjoy helping others with such a crucial step.

I especially enjoy explaining how to do a fishless cycle since many of the chemicals(ammonia/nitrites) present in the water during the cycle are harmful to fish.

It's all worth it for me when I see someone as yourself take that bit of knowledge and create amazing tanks with it.

Bubba's Mom
THX you Nanologist : ) Bubba is doing well- he is active and hungry. Spoke with a real knowledgeable guy at the aquatics store. Nitrites seem lower- ammonia pretty much gone thanks to the filter pad but not crazy about them as I see residue coming out. He says I should do smaller weekly water changes since every time I pull water out it has to recycle again. This cycling business is HARD!! but he says I must be doing something right since he is so active and well. I am going to be adding Seachem Matrix to his filter this weekend. Will keep you updated but have no idea if my tank has fully cycled. : ( THANKS AGAIN and hI to Benny!

Nanologist
I'm sorry to say but he is very wrong about a water change affecting the cycle. If a biological filter is strong then a 100% water change can even be done without affecting the cycle. A majority of the beneficial bacteria lives on all the surfaces in the tank, including the filter media where it's most important. There is very little in the water.

Unless you do a large water change without treating the tap water with a dechlorinator. Then the chlorine will kill off all the beneficial bacteria and you will definitely have to cycle the filter all over again.

The first thing I do once the nitrogen cycle is complete is remove all the water and refill with treated water. Water changes only do good if done right. Even large ones.

Bubba's Mom
Hello Nano-- I had replied via my cell but see it didn't post. I thought that answer was wrong too- so I am going to follow what you say and go back to may weekly 20% water changes-- I tested Nitrate and it is still slightly oink on the test strip guide. Kinda think it is lower- Ammonia is good!
Aquarium guy told me to leave a poop in tank til my next cleaning since it feeds good bacteria-- I opted to vacuum it out and plan to get Seachem Matrix this weekend-- have you ever heard of leaving poope in tank a few days? yukk.

He continues to be active, inquisitive and hungry though No bubbles nests for a month now-- also have seen him twice blow bubbles from his gills. One time close at top of surface and just now close to bottom... What does that mean? If you know pls advise. His breathing seems totally good. Sorry to ask so much and know I really appreciate it! THX for correcting that wrong info on water!- I could have dome some damage!!

cocobeaux
Moved some plants over from the community tank. Phil finally has live plants! MERRY XMAS BUDDY!View attachment 390236
HI Nanologist!
I have this same tank and a female half moon Betta.
I also got a live plant recently and I was wondering if you changed or supplemented the light for your live plants? Or if the LEDs are working? My plant lost a few leaves and maybe it’s just getting used to it’s new environment. Just curious what you’re doing for plant care and what you’re finding to be successful.
Your tank is beautiful by the way!

cocobeaux
This tank is really good and really doesn't need any more than it comes with except a small heater. Even the light is sufficient. I put in an Anubias Nana and a Windelov Java Fern. The Anubias has a new leaf and the Fern is growing those lacy ends on the shoots that didn't have them. I am using the little 20 watt TopFin Betta heater and it keeps the tank steady at 78F. I've had it 6 weeks now and I'm still using the original filter cartridges since the flow rate seems about the same.

I change a gallon of the water every Sunday and don't use anything but the TopFin dechlorinator in the new water. Benny has two tank mates. A black Mystery snail named Smokey and a zebra Nerite snail called Newman
I also have the same tank, one live plant, one half moon female Betta, and one tiger nerite snail. How are the two snails doing? Maybe I could fit another snail friend. And it’s really great to hear the lights are working for you in this tank!!

Dch48
I also have the same tank, one live plant, one half moon female Betta, and one tiger nerite snail. How are the two snails doing? Maybe I could fit another snail friend. And it’s really great to hear the lights are working for you in this tank!!
The snails are doing fine and I have added 2 Ghost Shrimp that are also doing great. My Betta ignores them unless they move real fast and trigger his predatory instinct. When he sees what they are , he just goes on his way. I now have some narrow leaf Anacharis growing with the Anubias (which is on it's 5th new leaf) and Java Fern that has 3 new shoots.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishMich
Replies
Views
AmnScott
Replies
Views
TikiBird
Replies
Views