Top Fin brand white sand increase or decrease pH?

mastersafara

Has anyone used Top Fin white sand in their aquarium? Wondering if it increases or decreases pH? The description only says that it may contain minerals that affect water ph.

Heron

I'm not familiar with this brand of sand but if it says it may effect pH then I suspect it may contain carbonates which will increase the KH or buffering capacity. If your tank is underbuffered this will raise the pH a bit. If you have sufficient KH to maintain a stable pH then it probably won't make much difference but if you are trying to keep a lower pH tank it may be a problem.
If it claims to be coral sand it will definitely increase the KH.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Was it the PetSmart description? The picture has Aquarium gravel printed on the bag and it says gravel in the description. If it does change it, it will be so little. I have never had a issue.

Upvote 0

mastersafara

Was it the PetSmart description? The picture has Aquarium gravel printed on the bag and it says gravel in the description. If it does change it, it will be so little. I have never had a issue.
Yes it’s the PetSmart brand. It does say premium aquarium gravel, however the product is sand.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yes it’s the PetSmart brand. It does say premium aquarium gravel, however the product is sand.
I mean the description that says it may alter your pH says gravel too. I know you mean sand but the description is wrong too.

Upvote 0

Nourhanateout22

I think I know what he's referring to, I gotv he same one. The title is misleading, it says "aqaurium gravel" yet the substrate appears to be almost like a crushed gravel almost sand like. I bought the same one and I was wondering if it did affect ph.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Think there isn't a law telling where sand ends and gravel starts and the other way around.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Most white sand is usually aragonite derived from the breakdown of coral reefs. Thus, like crushed coral, it will tend to raise pH and KH.

Silica sand tends to be more golden in color.

Upvote 0

Nourhanateout22

Most white sand is usually aragonite derived from the breakdown of coral reefs. Thus, like crushed coral, it will tend to raise pH and KH.

Silica sand tends to be more golden in color.
Interesting I did not know that. What about the black sand?

Upvote 0

RayClem

Interesting I did not know that. What about the black sand?
Black sand typically comes from the breakdown of black volcanic rocks like basalt. Hawaii has a number of black sand beaches, but it is illegal to remove black sand from its beaches, so any found in the hobby will come from elsewhere.

Apparently, there are black sand beaches that were not created by volcanic activity, but these are few in number.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KaneAdams
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies