Top Fin Aqua Fern

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't ever buy it for your aquarium. Apparently they aren't true aquarium plants and will die after a few weeks of being submerged in water. Thank you Top Fin for being a deceitful plant seller and never mentioning this on your over priced, wimpy, snail-free, "aquatic plants". Does anybody know if the sword plant that Top Fin sells is actually an aquatic plant?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think it's aquatic. You can check here:

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't see it on that list, something tells me it isn't though, ever since I planted it the plant has been looking pretty pathetic It looked a lot happier in its tube. I'm thinking I'm just going to take both plants out and plant them somewhere. Petco and Petsmart should really stop selling these plants by their aquarium supplies and Top Fin needs to label the plants better. It's so frustrating.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I misunderstood your post. lol I thought you were asking about about the aqua fern. lol

Can you post a picture? Maybe someone can ID it for you.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lol I already know the "aqua" fern isn't an aquatic plant but I bought some sort of sword plant from Top Fin but I can't remember it's name but I will definitely post a picture of it when I get home.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is it one of those dracaena plants that come in the foggy tubes at petsmart? i bought several, found out that they were fouling my water, and then planted them outside.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not really sure, to be honest it resembles a bamboo plant and when I googled dracaena my plant looked pretty similar so maybe lol But I remember when I bought it, Top Fin labeled it as some sort of sword. BSo far my plan is to take both plants out and plant them outside, it's pretty humid out here in Florida so I'm sure they will do great lol Still gonna upload a picture soon though just in case the "sword" plant truly is aquatic.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
heres a list of the most common top fin plants

* Acorus gramineus (Japanese Rush)
* Dracaena sanderiana (White ribbon, Striped Dragonplant, Temple plant)
* Dracaena variegatus (Gold ribbon)
* Hemigraphis colorata (Red or Chrimson Ivy)
* Ophiopogon japonica (Kyoto)
* Selaginella wildenowii (Peacock plant)
* Spathiphyllum wallisii (Umbrella plant, Peace Lily)
* Trichomanes Javanicum (Aqua fern)

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
287.jpg

It looks just like the plant in this betta's bowl. So I'm guessing it's the Dracaena Variegatus. Is that an aquatic plant?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's the exact kind that I got also. I would periodically see leaves 'melting' off of it. I ended up taking them all out since I found out they weren't truly aquatic plants, and I planted them outside. They are bog plants, from what I have read, so would probably work better in a high humidity situation rather than submersed.

I'm in florida also. They seem to do well away from direct sunlight, but I have lost a few of them.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright then, out they go! lol I'll find them a nice shady spot on the side of the house along with the aqua fern

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What you have there is Dracaena Dermensis var 'Compacta'. Commonly called Pineapple Plant & sold as an aquatic plant but is not truly aquatic. Planting it outside is the right plan to follow.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dracena are not true aquatics. They will live for a short time submerged in water, but they will not live for long. There are a few other species, like those aqua ferns, bamboo, and arrowheads that are often sold for fish tanks, but they will not last. They should not be sold to be submersed.

Plantgeek has a list of non-aquatic plants that are sometimes (wrongly) sold as aquatics:

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads