Tooth In Food

1. Leo Thomsen

Leo Thomsen Initiate Member

33079935_10214430846703010_7732759231111102464_n.jpg 32968607_10214430854303200_8681022116679647232_n.jpg
    Pictured is, what I believe, a tooth. I found it in the food, also pictured.
    Anyone got any idea what it's from? How did it get there? I've got no animals with teeth like that so it couldn't have ended there by accident?

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

omg how crazy??!! i cant beleive what im seeing

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Check the ingredients.

It might be a bone.

4. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

but y? isnt a tooth/bone not supposed to be in there? lol this is just crazy to me haha i am in awe

5. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a barbed stinger to me

6. x

xloe Member Member

Haven't you ever eaten a piece of fish with a bone in it? I assume that's all it is.

7. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

That was my thought as well. I was just looking up ray bones but they do not look like the picture.

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Probably a leftover from “fish meal”.

9. Dch48

The label says the food is red mosquito larvae. Do the ingredients include anything else?

10. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

That appears to be the foreleg from a roach, cricket, grasshopper or similar insect.

11. Z

Z24zorpx4 Initiate Member

i have pet roaches. this doesn't look like a leg to me. probably a fish bone.

How big is it? Can we see the ingredients list?

12. Dch48

Nope found it on web. 100% red mosquito larvae. Maybe it's just a dried larva?

Or, the stinger from a giant mosquito? :)

13. Z

looks like a fish jaw got in somehow.

14. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

Food like this are net scooped from outdoor growing ponds and then dried and packaged. I almost made an entire weird-looking shrimp from pieces found in a jar of gammarus once! Or finding small fish in plankton mixes, or tiny snails in bloodworms. There are going to be "contaminants" that slip through occasionally.

15. Ulu

Thank you, and....ummm..... you have pet roaches?

Forgive me for this, but the smell alone would be enough to send me packing.

I hope there are scientific purposes in mind here & you're not breeding these just so you can gross out your little sister?

16. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches are often kept as pets :)

17. Z

i actually keep dubias as pets

18. Ulu

I think I'll stick to cats, dogs and fish thank you.

There is not such a lack of insects here that I need to bother feeding them.

But again I got to ask you,
    Don't the roaches really stink?

I say this because I used to keep crickets to feed my oscar fish but they stink so bad I couldn't have them in the house.

19. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

That is likely a barb (pectoral or dorsal fin) bone from a catfish. I kept the 3 barbs from a catfish I caught and they have the "toothy" edges like that.

20. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I agree with Demeter. It is some type of barb.