Took A Bad-ish Fall

Discussion in 'Horses' started by FishFor2018, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM.

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    so not sure if i should be posting this but i am. haven't found the guts to tell my parents (im 13) what happened because im afraid they wont let me ride again. anyways i was with one of my barn trainers and i was riding a horse who used to be in the racing but "wasn't fast enough". i was at a nice canter, not to fast not to slow, then i lost my balance and leaned onto his neck for a couple seconds and to a former race horse that mean GO so now here i am on this horse who WILL NOT stop, going about 28 mph and when he went off i didn't have good balance so my left foot is out of the stirrup and i'm fine i thought okay then i just let him stop when he stops but then he makes a sharp turn and next thing i know i'm on the ground. i don't remember much about how i fell i just remember seeing like doubles for a second and being dizzy (and yes i was wearing a helmet) every since then my neck has been really sore and aching and i have a small but definitely noticeable headache since then (yesterday around 3) i'm like 80% sure i broke my toe but i've had a broken toe before so i'm used to it. just wanted to make sure it doesn't sound like i have something seriously wrong, so if someone on here would know then i would appreciate the help! My shoulders also really hurt

2. Nikki2577

Nikki2577 Well Known Member Member

Just a guess because I used to ride and show horses, I bet you are just sore from the fall. Did you feel nauseous at all after the fall? I used to also break horses for work and I tell you what.......some of them would give me a good run for my money. lol Usually if you don't know your going to fall you tend to be more relaxed intern not getting to badly hurt unless you land on your head.

I am not a doctor and this is just an opinion:)

3. Bill Scott

Bill Scott Valued Member Member

I know you don't want to hear this but you MUST tell your parents and seek immediate medical attention. You could have internal damage or a spinal injury that left untreated could cause serious longterm problems.
    PLEASE confide in your parents, they may be upset with you, but they'll understand.

4. Repolie

Repolie Well Known Member Member

The first priority is your health. If you're hurting in several places, then you should go see a doctor or your injuries might not heal properly in a growing body and then you won't be able to ride normally again. We also aren't medical professionals (maybe someone else here is), so we can't tell you anything. If you saw doubles for a few seconds, a big concern along with the pain in your neck. You can deal with your parents later.

5. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

no nausea or vomiting or anything. i've seen people try to break horses so i respect you lol

6. BusterBot28

BusterBot28 Valued Member Member

I suspect that you might have a concussion which also means you might have a spinal injury which is not good. I am no doctor or nurse but I am a lifeguard so I am drilled and drilled to know that even if the person doesn’t have pain in the spinal area after a good fall or dive you have to remember that even a small spinal injury needs IMMEDIATE medical attention. Hope you tell your parents and get better fast.

7. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

well my older brother knows i fell bc he was there so maybe i could ask him or something?

8. Nikki2577

lol Thank you. I am thinking over what and I said and I do have to agree to go to the doc. I was not ever smart enough to do that and maybe that is one of the reasons I am in pain all the time. lol

9. F

Fishcat Valued Member Member

Please do tell your parents and see a doctor. Nobody can diagnose you online. You need to take care of yourself so you can stay healthy and free of chronic pain for as long as possible. Your parents may be upset but, believe me, they will be far more upset if they find out that you didn’t tell them, and they are very likely to find out.

10. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

You need to tell your parents. It’s not likely that serious, obviously when you fall you can get a sore neck and back, plus a headache. If you had a spinal injury you would know. Even if you have a mild concussion there’s nothing to really do about it except bed rest, but a doctor should tell you that.

11. BusterBot28

Unfortunately I think you need to ask your parents because they have the insurance . Your brother should come with you when you tell them though. Because he was there.

12. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymous Well Known Member Member

Well...as a teenager once upon a time(teenage boy at that), i never told my parents any of that kind of stuff unless body parts were missing afterwards. But looks like i am the only one around here that was a teenage boy, once lol

13. BusterBot28

I am a teenage boy!!! I just tell my parents EVERYTHING! Lol I learned early on that they will find out somehow so I might as well be they one to tell them!

14. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

so like i know this sounds stupid but how do i tell her? just like oh yeah mom btw i fell off a horse at full speed and now i think im hurt badly oh and i told fishlore before i told you lol

15. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

PLEEEEEEASE seek immediate medical care. Head and neck injuries can be severe without showing serious symptoms at first. Time is critical. Please tell your parents right now....Please....

16. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I was on a first name basis with the ER people when I was a kid....

People would be uncomfortable to hear of the wounds I bound by myself.

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I encourage you to tell your parents, even though you don't want to.
    Your parents should know these things, even if you aren't injured too badly past the point of mobility.

18. Nikki2577

Just go to your mom and tell her you didn't think it was a big deal at the time but you fell and now you hurt. I am surprised the trainer did let your mom know. Do they have any kind of emergency care people at the barns that you were able to see?

19. A

Authmal New Member Member

A lot of us were, I'm sure. That said, part of growing older is (hopefully) growing wiser. I'd play it smart. A little trouble now weighed against the risk of a lot of trouble later, the smart play is to risk the little trouble now. The symptoms, as described, are concerning to me, as a parent, and any repercussions from an injury (during a hobby that we all know has a risk of injury) would be *greatly* outweighed by the repercussions from the hiding of the injuries.

20. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

no the trainer was one of my older brothers friends that her mom is the owner of the barn so it was just me her and my brother. thanks, i will talk to her in the morning

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice