Too Small For Tiger Barbs?also Other Questions Too. 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by 15324bbb, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

1. 15324bbbNew MemberMember

Hello I have a 10 gallon tank and I didn't think too much about putting tiger barbs into a 10 gallon. I want to know if they pick on each other more if a tank is to small is this true? PS I'm new in fish keeping and this is the only tank I have but thinking about getting a 3 or 4 gallon tank for live plants, do you have to have substrate? or can you just put them in gravel with fertilizer tablets? 1544207848291754559591.jpg I do want Java moss is it easy to care for?

2. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

Tiger barbs shouldn't be in a 10g, especially not with your harlequin rasboras. what's the full stock of the tank?
    Also barbs are nippy fish in general

3. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Agree, tiger barbs get big, they’re active and super not nice imo.
    Your plant question..depends on the plant, you can get some that attach to wood or a rock so the substrate doesn’t matter. Anubias, java fern are great and easy. And yes java moss grows rapidly too, just tie it off to something.

4. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

Ya I didn't know if you DID need substrate because every time I look it up it said yes so thank you for that now about the Java moss I was thinking of attacing it to the castle and would that look good or no? I'm looking at the barbs now and the lead barb (the biggest one) is chasing the other barbs what do you think??

Ya I didn't know if you DID need substrate because every time I look it up it said yes so thank you for that now about the Java moss I was thinking of attacing it to the castle and would that look good or no? I'm looking at the barbs now and the lead barb (the biggest one) is chasing the other barbs what do you think??

The stock is...well.....19 basically Overstock.....yay. I will get a 10 gallon bigger tank every year so they grow with the tank.

7 Tiger barbs
    7 Rasboras
    2 Red Eye Tetra (there fine with 2 instead of 5)
    1 Betta
    1 Pleco ( I didn't know they got so big)
    1 Neon tetra (and no he's not depressed)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:52 PM
  5. WTFish?

You could put the moss on the castle, it looks a bit difficult to tie to but not impossible. It will grow long and flowing and end up covering it though. A made a lava rock cave and tied it to the roof.
    I’ll stay out of your stocking questions as it seems you already know you’re overstocked :) I have no doubt others will chime in on that.

6. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

1544210615613989417265.jpg1544210742007-1201423691.jpg

Well I did have MORE than 19 but I didn't know I couldn't mess with the decorations and the got lethargic and DIED o_O:yawn:

Just wondering why it's not a good idea to have the harlequin Rasboras in with the barbs?

7. WTFish?

What do you mean? Who died? I’m sorry I don’t understand. Also, yes, that pleco will need a new home very soon. Do you know your parameters?

8. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

I did have 3 more red eye tetras and I had corys and 4 more neon tetras too, the neon tetras, Pleco and corys were my first fish and I'm really positive that the corys died because of too much circlation in the water because I had a air pump that was for 10-30 and mine is a 10 is the lowest so it was so much circulation it killed them. it was made to circulate the highest which is 30.

The red eyes were so out of it you could touch them the started to swim into the sides of the tank but not swim up right

The neons I don't know what killed them they just died in the night.

There were 3 corys BTW.

The Pleco is 5-6 inches

9. Giul

GiulValued MemberMember

For future reference please combine all of those messages into one so that other people only receive one notification compared to several. Your tiger barbs will likely bite your other fish’s fins which will lead to stress, disease, and/or possibly death.

I know someone else asked but do you have a water test kit? Could you please tell us your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings? If you don’t do frequent water changes your fish may already be stressed from the water quality

10. WTFish?

How old is this tank? Is it cycled? Again, what are your parameters? I’m afraid that with your stocking you will continue to have problems. How often are these deaths? Over night? Over days or weeks?

11. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

The tank itself is 4 months on the 20th. yes it's cycled. What's a parameter if its pH a 6 year fish expert say "I never had to use them and might be a waste of money to get one". The neon tetra and Cory deaths were 3 1/2 months ago and the red eyes were during october 10/16/18 was an exact death of one how I know? I took a pic of him in my hand lol.

I just made a water change on the 5th and how often do I do a 20-30% water change?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM
  12. Giul

GiulValued MemberMember

It depends on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Plecos alone produce a lot of waste so I don’t think you can do only weekly water changes on this tank. If you don’t have a water test kit I believe Petco and PetSmart will test your water for free. Let us know what exact numbers your water reads for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

13. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

No my Pleco doesn't produce alot of waste a expert said that you only feed them once month so the get there vitamins if you feed them every day (like I used to do) they won't eat there waste or other fishes waste, so no my Pleco doesn't have alot of waste, it all depends on how much you feed them.

14. WTFish?

I can only advise you to spend some time here reading up on things. Use the search feature, type a keyword and you’ll see other threads that may answer any questions. Your parameters means, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates etc. click here on nitrogen cycle.

15. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Not to be rude but you need a new "expert"

16. WadeEH

WadeEHValued MemberMember

Good job @david1978 coming up with a more polite way to say what I was thinking. ;)

17. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

Thanks for the help :):happy:

18. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

Oooh, that's one I've never heard before. Was this "expert" from Walmart, petsmart, or petco?
    Feeding any fish once a month is impossible as it will likely die before you can feed it the second time.

19. OP
    OP

15324bbbNew MemberMember

Well it's worked to far, (Alie) the pleco was only an inch when i got her, now she's 4-5 inches soooo........ha. 1544305051336-1037756594.jpg

20. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Well the pleco should get 18-24" long so longer then your current tank. Not to mention if fed properly they are poop machines. That's not even taking into account the other fish. Not sure what the ha is about. I can tell you your luck will run out with this stocking in this tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice