Too Much Weight?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by MHansen12, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MHansen12

MHansen12 Valued Member Member

Right now I have 2 3-4inch green terrors in a 55 gallon with 100 lbs of sand. Today I am getting a 3 lb piece of driftwood and hopefully 20-30 lbs of rock. Do you think my fish tank can hold this amount of weight or no?

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Sounds like a lot of weight to me. I also have a 55 gallon tank and use potting soil and sand, I only dare to put 15 lbs of rock with a small piece of driftwood maybe 1lb. Just don't think the glass is thick enough for all that. I could be wrong tho.

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

My 125 is has about 70 pounds total in it, I don't think I would like to go with more than that though.

4. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Dear @MHansen12 ,

You will not have any problems if the bottom glass is fully supported from the stand it is on, without any gaps. Be careful not to load the side walls too much by leaning rocks on them.

Happy Scaping :)

5. OP
    OP
    MHansen12

Hey would you like a picture?

6. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Sure, show me! :)

7. OP
    OP
    MHansen12

[​IMG]

8. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Looks perfect! Do you have any kind of substrate under the sand?

9. OP
    OP
    MHansen12

No, I was kind of frugal so I went with 100lb of black diamond blasting sand was 16$

10. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Even better because in my opinion you could make the sand shallower on the frontside and deeper at the back. By layering the sand, you will be establishing a sense of depth in your aquascape :)

11. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I would take about half of your sand out. With it being that deep you are going to get anaerobic pockets in it. As for your question, you will be fine. Remember ever thing you put in your tank displaces the water.

12. OP
    OP
    MHansen12

Ok sounds good I will definitely give it a try... by shallower in the front do you mean like a slide formation almost? So big in the back then slope down into a shallow front?

13. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Yes but only slightly. For example measuring upwards from the black frame of the aquarium; 0.5 inches on the frontside and 1.5 inches at the back. After doing so, I would advise you to take out the remaining sand.

Here is a brief beginners guide to composition :

14. OP
    OP
    MHansen12

Just wondering, how stressful is changing the environment for the fish?

15. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

I have changed the way my tank is set up about 100 times in the 6 months I have had it up. As long as you are moving around slowly and not spooking the fish they should be fine. After you change things around a lot of times the fish will get used to your hands moving around in the tank and you will eventually be able to move much faster. Just keep it slow moving, and trust me you will be getting your arms wet more often than you think. It's very addictive, like drugs just without jail time if you get caught.

16. KeeperOfASilentWorld

If you want to work freely, you can move the fish to a container ( filled with tank water ) while you work. Try to keep it under an hour if the container is small.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  17. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Why do you have so much sand? Usually it is a pound a gallon. I have a 29 gallon, with around 30lbs of sand. It gave me a good 2" bed. That is usually plenty.

What kind of stand do you have also? That big of a tank with water is over 600lbs. Adding the 130lbs is some serious weight. I definitely would be very concerned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice