Too Much Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Right now I have 2 3-4inch green terrors in a 55 gallon with 100 lbs of sand. Today I am getting a 3 lb piece of driftwood and hopefully 20-30 lbs of rock. Do you think my fish tank can hold this amount of weight or no?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Right now I have 2 3-4inch green terrors in a 55 gallon with 100 lbs of sand. Today I am getting a 3 lb piece of driftwood and hopefully 20-30 lbs of rock. Do you think my fish tank can hold this amount of weight or no?
Sounds like a lot of weight to me. I also have a 55 gallon tank and use potting soil and sand, I only dare to put 15 lbs of rock with a small piece of driftwood maybe 1lb. Just don't think the glass is thick enough for all that. I could be wrong tho.

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dear @MHansen12 ,

You will not have any problems if the bottom glass is fully supported from the stand it is on, without any gaps. Be careful not to load the side walls too much by leaning rocks on them.

Happy Scaping

OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Even better because in my opinion you could make the sand shallower on the frontside and deeper at the back. By layering the sand, you will be establishing a sense of depth in your aquascape
Ok sounds good I will definitely give it a try... by shallower in the front do you mean like a slide formation almost? So big in the back then slope down into a shallow front?

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok sounds good I will definitely give it a try... by shallower in the front do you mean like a slide formation almost? So big in the back then slope down into a shallow front?
Yes but only slightly. For example measuring upwards from the black frame of the aquarium; 0.5 inches on the frontside and 1.5 inches at the back. After doing so, I would advise you to take out the remaining sand.

Here is a brief beginners guide to composition :
https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/aquatic-layout-guide-rules-composition-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv/

OP
MHansen12

MHansen12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes but only slightly. For example measuring upwards from the black frame of the aquarium; 0.5 inches on the frontside and 1.5 inches at the back. After doing so, I would advise you to take out the remaining sand.

Here is a brief beginners guide to composition :
https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/aquatic-layout-guide-rules-composition-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv/
Just wondering, how stressful is changing the environment for the fish?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just wondering, how stressful is changing the environment for the fish?
I have changed the way my tank is set up about 100 times in the 6 months I have had it up. As long as you are moving around slowly and not spooking the fish they should be fine. After you change things around a lot of times the fish will get used to your hands moving around in the tank and you will eventually be able to move much faster. Just keep it slow moving, and trust me you will be getting your arms wet more often than you think. It's very addictive, like drugs just without jail time if you get caught.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why do you have so much sand? Usually it is a pound a gallon. I have a 29 gallon, with around 30lbs of sand. It gave me a good 2" bed. That is usually plenty.

What kind of stand do you have also? That big of a tank with water is over 600lbs. Adding the 130lbs is some serious weight. I definitely would be very concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom