Too much water flow in 80 gallon Angelfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Tripod Brown, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Tripod BrownNew MemberMember

Hello
    I have a new tank that is 80 gallon standard dimension, with 2 medium sized Angelfish, 2 german ram cichlids, a pleco and soon to be, some cherry barbs.
    I'm worried my tank may have a little too much water flow preventing the fish from moving around as easily as they should.
    I.m running a marineland 200 penguin filter on the far left of my tank, an eheim ecco 2234 with the outlet tube in the middle of the tank and a Marineland HOT magnum filter made for 55 gallons or 250 gal/hour on the far right side of the tank. I also have two powerheads attached to the sides of the tanks on the glass. Does this sound like too much water flow for my listed fish to handle?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I might remove the powerheads. You're a little low on GPH filtration, but I don't think the powerheads are necessary.

3. Grimund

GrimundWell Known MemberMember

Just the one filter is 5x filtration in a can, plus another can (forgot the GPH), and an HOB at 4x filtration. I wouldn't think that's too little.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Tripod BrownNew MemberMember

So just remove the powerheads and I'm fine?

5. Grimund

Seems like it. Your canisters can always have the spray bars adjusted to flow in other directions. I have a small one for a 10 gallon betta and just pointed mine up at an angle

6. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I add up the gallons per hour ratings on my filters and calculate my turnover per hour i.e. how many times in an hour my total tank volume goes through the filters (in theory at least).

I have settled on 7.5 times turnover. This appears to suit my Clown Loaches.

At 10 times turnover my Clown Loaches didn't come out much. I think this was because they could not lounge about on the bottom comfortably in the open without being moved by the current. So, they retreated into their hiding places in order to hang out.

Just something to think about and play with when you are tweaking your tank.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I disagree.
    Marineland 200 penguin filter - 200 GPH - 2.5x
    Marineland HOT magnum filter - 250 GPH when empty of media, much less when full of media - 3.1x when empty
      2234 - 145 GPH when empty of media, much less when full of media - 1.8x when empty

I don't think the filtration is enough when you consider how low the GPH of the canisters are when you fill them with media. You want 5x GPH for the tank volume for a canister filter when it's full of media; right now it's only that when they're empty of media.

Just saying personally I don't think that's enough filtration for an 80 gal. More is better. But more turnover doesn't always equal to the power of the flow of the tank. I think removing the powerheads would lessen the flow of the tank to a manageable level. The pleco is the only one that might appreciate high flow (depending on pleco species).

8. Grimund

Thought it was a 55 for a minute. Lots of other threads I view. The filtration might be a little underwhelming, but seems to be right on the edge of okay to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice