Too much water flow for pearl gourami?

Discussion in 'Pearl Gourami' started by el337, Aug 1, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a 46 gallon bowfront with an AC 50 and 70 running in it. I plan on getting a pearl gourami but read in an older thread that they don't like too much water flow. Is this true and even if I set the flow at the lowest setting, would it be still be too much?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

That shouldn't be too much flow for a pearl gourami. You could always put a pre-filter sponge on the intake so slow the flow slightly. It would also add extra biological filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Yes I have the prefilter sponges on them as well. Thanks, glad to know I can still get the gourami! Now to get more hiding places which is another issue.. I'm afraid my current plants are still on the small side and my driftwood is tall but I don't know that it will be enough coverage.

4. LiterallyHydro

Pearl gouramis like to have floating plants (Although make sure they still have access to the surface). Are you able to get some floating plants such as hornwort or frogbit? They would love to have hiding places/resting areas near the surface.

5. OP
    OP
    el337

I'll look for them at the LFS. If not, I will have to order them online.

6. LiterallyHydro

I would offer to ship some but I don't have experience shipping plants and wouldn't want to have you pay for shipping only for them to be DOA.

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Check with Dolfan, he often sells frogbit and hornwort on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    el337

Temps here have been 90F and above. I'd hate to have them shipped with the standard rate since they would die in this heat but overnight shipping would be too much to pay.

Any other plants I might find locally that would provide a good height/cover?

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Water wisteria works well floating I hear. I actually have an anubias floating right now and it seems happy as can be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I have two filters in my 38 (my GPH is 400!) and my pearls are okay. I also need to get them some floating plants. Although I may just suction cup some Anubias towards the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. LiterallyHydro

Shipped moist and not submerged should be fine.

12. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

el337 - I live in the southeast and the temps have been 90+ all summer and I have had no problems with shipping. While the plants are shipped and in transit they stay in air conditioned rooms. The only time they are exposed to the heat is when they are on the local mail truck from post office to your house (a few hours) and then in your mailbox. As long as you can receive the plants within an hour of delivery there should be no issues. Most of these plants grow in hot locations. The mailbox is the main culprit of problems, as it turns into an oven on hot afternoons. If you are normally home when the mail is delivered, it's no problem. Check out my thread in the buy/sale/trade forum if you are interested and shoot me a PM

13. OP
    OP
    el337

Yes I was actually going to PM you for some plants since I was reading through your thread yesterday. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice