Question Too much surface aggitation? and more...

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey the more I think about my 5g tank the more i think it has too much surface agitation on it for a Betta. So I was hoping some one could recommend something to lower it? i just have a 5g tank air pump and a filter that came in the 5g tank kit. They are supposed to have air pumps too right? I got a mini heater going temp is around 79- 81. Also any other Betta tips would be Awesome!!

Or do i have this wrong and they need more surface agitation? getting closer to complete cycle so i want to figure this out before I Rescue one of those Poor buggers from a cup.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bettas breath air, so a air pump isnt needed, but it isnt bad to have unless its stressing out your betta. Also do you know the GPH of your filter on the tank? Bettas dont like strong currents and it can easily stress them out. As for tips, If you go with freeze dried blood worms be sure to reconstitue them before feeding them to your betta. I would soak them in garlic juice or water, If you dont they will absorb water in your betta and swell up causing them to get constipated. But also try to keep those as a treat and get a pellet food like Omega One Betta Buffett which is a good food if you can find it in the pellet form. Bettas usually dont go for the flakes. Umm...do you have a little cave or place for him or her to hide in? And, I like to have a big leafed plant in the tank for them to rest on. One that stands near the top or is near the top ingeneral would be good. Due to the fact they breath air they will swim up to the top alot...and having a leaf up there will keep them from having to keep moving alot at night to breath....Thats all I can think of for now. I'm sure other members will post other things I've left out. Best of Luck.

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok Cool Im not sure of the GPH but I will check it out. What type of plants would be best? links? pics?hhhhhhhh
ddddddddddddddddddddddnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <<<---- thats what my bunny has to say....

But any way. Would a spong in front of the output on the filter and nylon mesh around the airstone calm the current down enough do you think?

Thnx

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good advice from furallicah, java ferns would probably be good for your tank, as would aponogetons. Apons are sold all over the place as dried out bulbs often called by a number of different names like "wonder bulbs" or "betta bulbs". Really any type of low light plant with broad leaves would be good for your betta. Also I'm pretty sure if you look in the DIY section there is a thread on a DIY filter baffle, if not you could probably google it and find some good ideas, all kinds of different ways people slow down the filter flow. Do you know what type of filter you have? if you could give the brand name and model that could help

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And make sure to put Slime coat in the tank and keep feeding it ammonia or food to get it cycled good. I have a mini bow 1, and sometimes i thoink it might be too strong, but a rubber band and a bit of sponge'll lower the current.
Bettas are a wonderful pet, and pet not just fish, because they're so playful and full of personality.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And make sure to put Slime coat in the tank and keep feeding it ammonia or food to get it cycled good. I have a mini bow 1, and sometimes i thoink it might be too strong, but a rubber band and a bit of sponge'll lower the current.
Bettas are a wonderful pet, and pet not just fish, because they're so playful and full of personality.
what type of food are you referring to? fish food? i don't think that's recommended to cycle a tank. raw shrimp or pure ammonia i think. i use TSS so i'm not sure.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Using fish food is really nasty way to cycle a tank because it all builds up on the bottom and looks creepy...I would go with the pure ammonia that way you dont have to put up with the smell of the shrimp. And even when you get your betta I suggest you use Prime to treat your water.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use a sponge to reduce the flow, works a treat and is mega cheap! It just buffers it and slows it down enough before it re-enters the tank. Plus it's an extra place for all the good bacteria to build up on, so good all round I say!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i was wondering on the current.....someone told me to cut some pantyhose and put it over where the water comes out to slow it down. i tried it, seems to work.....but is that ok to do? or is a sponge better. i'm not sure how to go about that without making the water stop all together.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jeri, I just put the sponge where the water leaves the filter to go back in to the tank. It kinda "absorbs" the flow so it's not harsh for them. If the pantyhose has never seen soap, and if it works, this is fine for you too.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks tigerfishy. the hose haven't been used before.....i think, after reading a lot of how other ppl slowed their flow....i think i can be creative thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom