Too Much Poo! Move Water Or Filtration?

Snailwhisperer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 40 gallon with mystery and other snails and it seems the substrate gets dirty every day. It has a top fin HOB that came with it. I have a whisper 40 air pump in it.

I also have a 55 gallon which I will soon be putting in mystery snails and shrimp. It has an aqua clear 50 HOB. I have a whisper 60 air pump in it.

Both are planted. I have been reading about power heads and wave makers.

Should I add a power head or wave maker or filtration (what kind)? Or just keep vacuuming substrate?

Thanks

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd may e upgrade filtration to start. Top fin filters are junk. A powerhead/wavemaker would probably help kick some of the fish waste etc and the filter can catch it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would move the ac 50 to the 40 gallon tank and get an ac 70 or 110 for the 55 gallon tank. I wish i would of gotten 110's for my 55 instead of the 70 but it is enough.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well, personally i like canister filters. I mainly use them. Maybe look into the ehiem classics. I've seen lots of people use them on planted tanks. They're usually readily available on eBay, Craigslist etc. Maybe this would be a good choice for the 55g.
on the 40, maybe move the aquaclear to that and get a second one. Or one bigger one such as the aquaclear 70.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom