Question Too Much Lighting?

mitchellh97

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank, I believe 18” tall, and have a t8 light fixture that is 4’ long and I have two 6500k bulbs in it. Currently it is on around 4-5 hours a day but I installed a proper co2 set up and have good saturation (my drop checker says my co2 is good) but I’m getting massive algae and mostly brown on the plant leaves and sand. I don’t really want to turn the lights back much as it seems like I don’t get any time to appreciate it. The plants seem to love the co2 but algae does as well. It is a dirted tank with potting soil (peat moss, sand, clay) and what I would consider fairly heavily planted but still waiting for them to grow out. Should I take a bulb out and double/add time or should I increase co2? I’m new to co2 and trying to figure it out but seems like I have too much light even though they aren’t as powerful as most led lights and they’re on for very few hours out of a day. Can anyone weigh in on what would be the best idea? Would taking out a bulb and adding more time have the same affect or would it decrease PAR at the substrate level to the point where my plants would die?
IMG_1224.jpg

619CoryFan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long has co2 been running? Was algae good before co2? I would try taking a bulb out, stop co2 for the mean time, and keep light in 6-8 hours and see how you like it's progress. I think the plants you currently have will do fine without the 2nd bulb or co2. While you wait it out for a couple weeks you can think about adding more plants that really require high light and co2. I would definitely try more red plants and carpet plants with the 2nd bulb and co2. Sorry I couldn't specify which plants. I'm new and still learning as well. Nice tank BTW! I like your set up.

OP
mitchellh97

mitchellh97

Reaction score
I’ve had co2 for about a week now, the brown algae has been a problem since I set up the tank but I was hoping the co2 would help the plants out compete the algae. I’m planning on getting more demanding plants as I go but I have to wait for my store to get them in and it’s a private shop so whatever he decides to order is whatever comes in, usually a mix of different demanding and undemanding plants. I use to use just one bulb until I got the co2 but had the hours way higher now the hours are less than half and plants are doing way better but algae is starting to get ridiculous. Thanks for the quick reply!

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your not heavily planted and t8 lights aren't very good for planted tanks. The brown algae is diatoms and will usually go away on their own after a few months. If you can I would upgrade your lights if you want high light plants.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
Your not heavily planted and t8 lights aren't very good for planted tanks. The brown algae is diatoms and will usually go away on their own after a few months. If you can I would upgrade your lights if you want high light plants.
Why is T8 not very good Smee ?
I've T8 in several planted tanks.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Why is T8 not very good Smee ?
I've T8 in several planted tanks.
T5 has a better output and at 18inches tall I'm not sure how good t8 will be at the substrate.

OP
mitchellh97

mitchellh97

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I bought a new light today. A fluval full spectrum plant led. I’ve had it in for about an hour or two and it’s insanely hot on the top do any of you know if it’s normal? I got the 48” and it’s my first led light not sure if the fixture should be hot or not

New Threads