Too Much Lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MatthewContri, Apr 19, 2018.

1. MatthewContriValued MemberMember

My bowfront corner 59g is 22" inches high, I currently have a Finnex 24/7 Planted 24" light, but I do not think the floor is being hit enough. Could I add another light or would that be too much light?

The reason I ask is because I have similar floor plants in a 4g and they seem to be growing much better and look healthier.

Attached Files:

2. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Correct me if I'm worng, but in your posted pic, it looks like you have some Anubias and some Pearlweed. (looks good BTW!) Yeah I have 2 of those lights as well. So with a 22 inch depth, give or take your light's distance with a couple inches actually above the water line, your PAR level will be about 40-42 inches onset, in water and not air. It seems to be enough light that's actually penetrating. Although do keep in mind, that your 59 gal. tank is significantly larger, horizontally, depth and height which will be the primary differential for lighting and growth and will also influence effects very differently and much more drastically than the very small 4 gal. tank. And 1. are using liquid ferts? 2. Any CO2? 3. how long is the light on for? And lastly, 4. Using any root tabs at all? FYI, Pearlweed love root tabs BTW...ferts and CO2 will also play an important and crucial role in determining whether you'll actually require more lighthing...or not.

3. MatthewContriValued MemberMember

@SFGiantsGuy actually no Pearlweed, but I did just add some Monte Carlo and the other plants I have in there are as follows:

• Echinodorus rubin (Red Rubin)
    • Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon sword)
    • Anubias nana
    • Anubias
    • Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal)
    • Staurogyne Repens
    • Pogostemon helferi
    • Dwarf Rotala (I think)
    • Pogostemon helferi
    • Windelov Java Fern
    • Christmas Moss
    To answer your questions:
    1. Yes I am using a Macro fert (dosing only 2 days, Monday/Thursday) and Flourish for Micros (dosing only 2 days, Tuesday/Friday).
    2. CO2 is in the form of liquid, Excel to be exact, dosing every morning. I was actually told that I don't need a CO2 system based on the plants I have, but after the liquid runs out I am going to get a system I think, even if it is a small one.
    3. Light is on a timer, on for 4 hours, off for 3, on for 4 hours, then off till the next day.
    4. Yes I am using root tabs for the big root plants (Rubin, swords, cardinals and the repens (i think I used some for these last ones)

4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, you're gonna likely need more light, as that's now pretty close to heavily planted! When and if you do, however, give it time...about 1 week to about a month, and then adjust ferts and light accordingly based on possible plant melting, growth, etc. And also based on the sheer amount that you're adding, you may have to up your doses to every other day. Basically, the more plants you have, the more ferts you'll eventually need. Excel seems fine daily though. Planted tanks are a lot of frustrating trial and error, ups and downs, yet rewarding when you nail the "sweet spot" and thus, balance the tank out altogether. Be patient and try different things. Practice makes perfect my friend. And most importantly: do NOT get discouraged.

5. MatthewContriValued MemberMember

@SFGiantsGuy Ok sounds good. I don't get discouraged but right now I'm ticked at one of my flame gouramis for pulling up the Monte carlos. Lol

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ugh, well that sucks. Hopefully and ideally he'll start to get bored with doing so, since Monte Carlos are kinda fragile and can uproot rather easily. My Honey Dwarf Gourami (he's only about 2 inches) likes to pick at my Scarlet Temples, which usually have pretty strong leaves, but since he picks on it so frequently, he sometimes ends up pulling leaves off too... : ( Sometimes.

7. MatthewContriValued MemberMember

@SFGiantsGuy a few things. I have begun using blanched Romane Lettuce to occupy my HDG , and he will sit there almost all day nipping at it. Completely forgets about the plants. I also took the legs off my light, to decrease the distance 3 inches as a test to see if I notice any difference.

8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Everything's ok now for the most part; he's making bubble nests and is now kinda nipping at the floating plants, which instead, has peaked his interest lately haha...yeah, hmm...never tried any veggies...yet! Maybe I will now heh...

9. MatthewContriValued MemberMember

@SFGiantsGuy neither one of mine have even shown any interest in nesting. Maybe because there is surface agitation? Of course I have no females so that would most likely be a mute point anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice