Too Much Light For My Fish?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Carmen79, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Carmen79New MemberMember

I'm planning on stocking my new 70 litter planted tank with my corydoras and probably a betta sorority, and a couple of synodontis. (Stocking advice needed too, but, first this question about the light..)

Sometimes I'm out of the city and until I get a couple of light timers, I need to manually turn on and off the light for this planted tank.

Will it do much harm to my fish to forget the lights on..?
    How about to forget them off..?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: I forgot to mention, I'm away a couple of days at a time, up to 4 days sometimes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. GlennOValued MemberMember

No light is no problem, there will be some natural light during the daytime. Not sure about lights left on for a few days. Probably not a big issue, but some tired fish unless you have some caves and.or thick plants for them to hide in.

I assume that you will feed them last thing before you leave, wouldn't you notice then if you left the light on?

3. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Fish need to sleep, so lights left on will stress them.
    Fish don’t need tank lights (they’re for plants and our benefit) so leaving them off is fine as long as they get some daylight.

4. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I'd say it really depends. Timers are pretty cheap and easy to set up so I'd look into this. I honestly don't think leaving the tank lights on will be the end of the world but as others have mentioned fish do sleep to so having the light off will help that natural cycle.

Its not going to kill your fish to have the lights on a little extra at times or anything like that. I've completely forgotten to turn off the light in the past for a couple days when we were on a weekend trip and the fish were 100% fine when I came back. I even had very delicate fish and the stress did not kill them or anything.

So having the lights go off at a reasonable time is definitely beneficial occasionally them going off later than normal isn't an issue either.

When I go on vacation my planted tanks stay on 24/7 if they're not on a timer. Now those tanks have tons of dark hiding places but I can't leave the lights off due to the plants.

I guess moral of the story, don't beat yourself up over it too much to have a strict schedule. If you're going to be a few hours late don't worry the fish will be fine. Just don't leave the light on 24/7 all the time unless you have no choice.

5. Carmen79New MemberMember

Wow thank you guys for your replies.
    Okay so I won't be too worried about it.

Feeding them before leaving, of course, I can keep this in mind. And I need to get those timers asap.