Too Much Gph in my 125?

dbjonesjr
HI all. Picked up a 125 to start building two weeks ago and its finally all up and running. It has dual corner overflows and I am running a 29 gallon trickle sump. I picked up a Jebao DCP 8000 with probably 5 or 6 feet of head pressure. For me to keep both corner drains fed with water I have to run the pump at 100%. My best estimate would be it is probably pushing 1500+ gallons per hour. I put some cheap goldfish in the tank to help with cycling prior to putting fish in but by the morning there was only 2 out of the 30 I put in left. There were still some living ones on my drip plate in the sump. Is this just too much flow for the Cichlids I am going to eventually put in? I do have shut-offs on everything so it wouldn't be difficult to just turn one of the corners off. What are your guys' thoughts.

max h
I would test your water parameters, goldfish have a large bioload as it is. Even with only 30 in a 125, with an uncycled filter there maybe a buildup of ammonia that caused the deaths. I have a pair of FX 4's on my 150 gallon tank and they filter 1400 gph combined and don't have a problem with healthy fish being stuck to an intake.

dbjonesjr
Parameters are fine. I will mention your FX4’s definitely aren’t pushing that much water. I have an FX6 that probably doesn’t push half that much after load through all the filter media.

86 ssinit
Yes canister listed flow rates are in empty canisters. Why I have no clue. But as you add media it drastically reduces.

max h
Parameters are fine. I will mention your FX4’s definitely aren’t pushing that much water. I have an FX6 that probably doesn’t push half that much after load through all the filter media.

That maybe true with all the media in the filter, but it also can be deceiving with their twin outlets per filter. My chiller pump is also pushing about 700-800 gph, so there's definitely plenty of flow and circulation in the tank.

dbjonesjr
Anyways question at hand is will my fish be alright with the pump pushing this much water? The goldfish were in good health and when I took them out of the filter they did just fine after putting them back in water, just ended up getting sucked back in eventually.

86 ssinit
I think you’ve got to much intake. May have to get a weaker pump. Reduce the flow to 8 or 9 hundred and add a hob to the tank. Gives you a little less flow but 2 means of filtration. The sump will be a great filter. Will it be a wet/dry with a sump or just a sump?

dbjonesjr
The sump has a wet/dry section with drip plate and then underneath there’s a submerged section. I’ve got lava rock in the wet dry and then a gallon of matrix underneath submerged (for purposes of a full cycle). The pump is controllable so that’s not a problem but I just have ball valves on the drains so it’s not easy to tune the flow perfectly. It’s done a spectacular job clearing up all the water from the rocks and sand I’ve put in.

Would just like to update everyone! There are about 8 goldfish alive and well in the overflows when I took a peek in today! Assuming that means water parameters are ok!

86 ssinit
Pictures may help. Maybe the openings in the overflow are to large. It’s never bad to over filter. Just strange that the fish got into the overflow. Is the over flow fully submerged?

dbjonesjr
No but one of the two outlet cutouts in the overflow is open. I think all is good now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ryuki
Replies
Views
Boujii
Replies
Views
Big Red
Replies
Views