Too Much Flow In Fluval Spec? Help

1. C

Confused_Penguin Initiate Member

Hello. I just want to know if I'm doing everything right.

I just finished cycling my 2.6 gallon fluval spec (it took 1.5 months). Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 5ppm.

I put my bettta fish in there yesterday so in total he has been in there for 2 days. I put the filter at the lowest flow setting during the cycling process, but once I put my little guy in I feel like the flow still too strong for my betta. Don't get me wrong, he swims all over the tank, but I have seen him trying to squeeze himself inside the carpet (i have 4 leaf clover that has taken over the tank while it cycled). I don't know if he's trying to hide or to try to stay still in the tank. He previously lived in a temporary tank 1/2 gallon tank with a heater. I had him since he was a baby and he tripled in size over the month I've had him so he has never actually been in a tank with flow before. I have seen him try to swim THROUGH the carpet, trying to find secret spots to pop his head through the driftwood.

Once I added him he was fine... no stress stripes, just constant wiggling of his little fins which never stops. When he angles his body a certain way he gets blown. I have javafern, swords, peacock moss, driftwood, and amazonia soil in the tank. The tank has some hair algae and I can actually see how strong the flow is by how the strands are swinging around in the tank.

I purchased some filter sponge and I cut a small slit and put it over the nozzle. When I turned on the filter again the tank look so stagnant. I had to take it off to make sure there was still some flow. He's not being blown around and doesn't seem to struggle, but the tank is so still without the flow.

Then I start to worry.. what if there is not enough flow? I worked so hard to build the colony of beneficial bacteria in there... I don't want them gone because there wasn't enough circulation in the tank. When I look close enough I can see the surface of the water move in circles at a snails pace... but I don't know what to do.

Should I keep the sponge on the nozzle? And if I do will my BB die because of lack of flow? Or should I just keep the flow in the lowest setting and hope the little guy adjusts to it? I don't know how well he sleeps, I feel like he's never stopped moving in that tank because of the flow. I've seen people cut holes in their pipe leading to wards the nozzle but I am not willing to do that. Can you guys give me some advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is is a silly question to ask. I just invested so much time, money, patience I don't want it wasted by making a silly mistake...

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Put a pre-filter sponge over the intake and the output