Too much Flaring?

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
16 hours: and still alive...

I don't have a lid for the tank, it's an 8 gal (weird size), but I'm gonna lower the tank and do those water changes. I'm pretty good at water changes because I have to do it 3 times a week for my Discus (and I also have 5 other tanks that need periodic water changes).

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think that since both these boys are proving to be olympic high jumpers you may want to start looking on sites like kijiji, craigslist etc. for a second tank. If out tank isn't too odd ball a shape you can also take the measurements for a place like speedy glass and have them cut a lid to fit.
Sending you the best fishy vibes so those pretty boys will smarten up.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Red!

I lowered the water level and have the Indian almond tea mixed. They are still alive, actually doing a little "betta" (I need some comic relief).

I have 4 small hex tanks (I think about 2 gals) but they're too hard to keep up the maintenance. I know that sounds like a cop-out but I have six other tanks running and one have Discus, which take up most my time.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No worries. I've got a small hex 2.5 gal that I hate. I just can't seem to keep it or any betta in it healthy. However I have two 2.5's that are a regular tank shape and they're by far easier to deal with. The 5's I have a very low maintainence as well.
Wishing you the best,

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sorry to hear about the fin shredding. It sounds as though you have too OVER aggressive males especially the culprit who jumped the divider. My advice would be isolate him (in his own container preferable with a lid) from other male fighters. He is a risk to their safety. As for your boy with the shredded fins. I'm not sure what is available to you in your local shops but I once had a fin shredding disaster in a breeding attempt. I used a product called 'Bettafix'. You add it to their water and it stops infection and promotes the fins to grow back healthy. I would be checking the male that faired the worst in the battle for any bites or cuts in his actual body, these can be fatal and it takes a few days for the worst to happen. I had an over agressive male once, his name was Orestes. I kept him away from my other males. One day I was unable to clean them and asked someone else to do it for me. They didn't know about this males aggressive tendencies and put his container near a nother (very placid) male named Apollo, tank whilst she cleaned them. He jumped over and although she separated them in seconds Apollo copped one bite on his chin. He became depressed, lethargic and passed away about a week later.
I am devasated for you and the fish. :'( I hope they get well.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update:

Things are looking "betta"

We added Betta Revive for three days then daily water changes and added those almond tea leaves. Although the fins are shredded (one guy worse than the other), they look like they're gonna pull through. They started to eat and are now swimming around again.

Here are the latest pictures of their recovery.

Attachments

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
YaY

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok,, you should get these two fish as far away from each other as is humanly possible!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom