Too much Flaring?

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We have someone in our fish club that purchase and breed bettas direct from Thailand. My wife just bought two the other night so I had to run around trying to set up a suitable home for them. I had an 8 gal tank that I split and pulled out some substrate, deco and filter that I had tucked away from last year.

I thought that the clear divider which has tiny holes which would obscure the view between each side, but the two Males still can see each other and they spend most the day flaring and trying to nip through the plastic. Will this be detrimental to them? Don't get me wrong, the flaring is breathtaking! But will the constant flaring harm them. They're so beautiful, I want to prevent any problems before it's too late.

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wow beautiful boys!!!!!!!! give them a few days to calm down ..its normal for now...you can get some bushy taller silk plants to cover some of the view....if in 3-4 days they are still in a tough guy war, you might have to buy a dark piece of crafting plastic mesh to put in front of the clear one...congrats!!!!!!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, wow! They're gorgeous! Congratulations!

DrGueedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah they will eventually calm down. I use to put a mirror against my betta tank when i had one to get him to flare up. He eventually caught on and didnt flare...well not has much lol I miss my betta sushi

ABCDemily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Golly! They are B-E-A-UTIFUL! They will calm down eventually, they'll probably forget each other in the end, let alone flare! Brilliant buy!

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are never going to stop so you better send them to me! lol....They are gorgeous...Flaring is a natural part of being a Betta male...

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think all that flaring has got there testosterone levels up, they both made bubble nests! I don't even have a female...

...yet

Gouramiguy17

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't worry mm can fix that, btw beautiful boys

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gorgeous babies

eiginh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Beautiful bettas!

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Beautiful bettas!
Gorgeous babies
btw beautiful boys
They are B-E-A-UTIFUL!
wow beautiful boys!!!!!!!!
NOT ANY MORE!!! I woke up this morning to find the red betta must have jumped the divider! I don't know how that was possible but ones laying on his back the other in all shredded apart!!!

My next question is if I can get them back to health, will their fins grow back?

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, their fins will grow back if you keep the water super clean and use fish protector and vitachem...

That is horrible to hear!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OMG... sorry about your boys. Most bettas should be able to heal themselves after a fight if they're not seriously wounded. Try solving the problem of how one of them jumped to the other side by maybe putting a cover on top or something, then give them some time to heal. I'm not sure of any meds that could help so hope that another member with that experience comes soon! Keep us posted.

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i've had my bettas jump the divider, a male halfmoon and female veiltail. There were a few shredded fins, but they quickly grew back, and the halfmoon's fins grew back completely.

You will want to keep the water very clean to prevent infection, and use stress coat+ as a water conditioner. vitachem and fish protecter will help as mentioned above.

to prevent this from happening again, lower the water level, or raise the divider, for one. also, i think now that they know there's competition on the other side of the divider, maybe it would help if they couldn't see each other. You can use a dark colored crafting mesh, or make a wall of java moss on either side of the divider.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Never heard of vita-chem, I went to two LFS but they don't have it. I called the Breeder that I got them from and she told me to soak this almond tea leaves that she gave us last week and add it to the tank. For some reason that's what they do in Thailand, and that's what they are used to. The Bettas in the states are bred without it. So that's what I did, I also fixed the divider and clipped an old background to the divider. I hope it works. By the way, the myth that fish have a three second memory is a bunch of hogwash!!! The two are going back to the same spot trying to find each other!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks guys!

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use AIL (indian almond leaves too) .....I didn't figure you had any available right now....That will help but the most important thing is water quality for growing fins back....

Who was the breeder on these 2 lovely boys?

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They did it AGAIN!!!! I spent half the morning re-doing the tank, I just walked into the door around midnight and they're both on one side of the tank... floating on the top!!!

I hope they make it over night!

Who was the breeder on these 2 lovely boys?
I don't want to write her full name without permission, well just say her name is Angela "H-P". She does a lot of selling on Aquabid.

scatty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh nooooo!!! Naughty fish! Oh you poor thing, you must be beside yourself!

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lower the water level so they can't jump that high. Probably about 2" lower. As for the flaring I have about 35 males in containers all next to each other and they do get board with each other and stop.

Mystic54

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I recently had my two females jump the divider. They got pretty tore up but they are healing. Most important factor to help them is pristine water conditions.
Do you have a lid for this tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom