Too Much Filtration?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by LadyGrey, May 8, 2019.

1. LadyGrey Valued Member Member

I'm ordering a zoo med canister filter for my quarantine tank so I was looking at the one for 10-20 gallons, but then i thought, maybe i should get the one for 30 gallons so I have a spare in case the filter on one of my other tanks dies.

Can i put a 30 gallon canister filter in a 10 gallon tank? How about a 5 gallon tank? Does anyone know how much you can control the flow in a zoo med canister?

2. Gavin Trzcinski Valued Member Member

As long as there isn't too much flow for the fish to handle you should be fine with a 30 gallon canister on a 10 or 5 gallon tank. Just make sure the fish aren't getting blown around by the flow that the filter is creating. Having too big of a filter is never a problem. If the flow is too much on the zoo med canister you could make something to put in front of where the water goes back into the tank to lessen the flow of the filter.

3. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

What canister specifically? They'll all have slightly different flow ratings

4. LadyGrey Valued Member Member

Thanks -- yes, too much flow is what I am concerned about.

I'm deciding between these two:

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
  5. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, considering that the 10 gallon one would be almost the bare minimum amount of turnover you want on a 10g, before you factor in the flow loss of the media and tubing, get the bigger one

6. Morpheus1967 Well Known Member Member

They are both fully adjustable, so definitely get the big one.

7. Lajos Valued Member Member

In my opinion, the 30 gallons filter (max flow rate at 160gph) will be too strong for 10 gallons and 5 gallons tank.

But 30gallons filter is the best for 20gallons tank. Usually you choose a filter with one speed faster(flow rate) as the filter will clog and slow down after some times.

Why don't you consider "hang on filter" or "big sponge filter" for your quarantine tanks?
    They are cheaper and easier to maintain especially the hang on filter which I considered the easiest to maintain and best for quarantine tanks.

Also, in the event when your tank has severe parasite infection, I may even throw away the sponge filter(which cost less than $5 each).
    Some parasites are extremely hard to kill and in a few occasions, I have to restart my tank all over again in the event of severe bacteria or parasite infections.

The tanks can be easily cleaned with bleach but the filter and filter medias are harder to clean and to ensure 100% free from parasites even after cleaning.(my opinion).
    For your information, when the parasites are in eggs/cysts form, they cannot be killed by any fish medications.

Usually I put extra 1-2 sponge filters in my main tank, and when I need to set up a quarantine tank, I will take out the sponge filters from my main tank and put them into the quarantine tank.
    So, I always have extra ready filters whenever I want to start a new tank.
    Note: My main tanks will have two better filters + 1-2 sponge filters.

Some extra info:
    For your main tank, it's best to have at least two filters for better filtration and for backup purpose.
    When you have two filters, you can put one at each corner(left and right). Each filter will cover each side of the tank and give you more effective filtrations for your whole tank.

Here are some recommended hang on filters.
    Aquaclear 30, Aquael Versamax FZN-1 filter

https://www.amazon.com/Aquael-Aquatics-115072-Versamax-Filter/dp/B078YSXYT2

8. H2O Concierge Valued Member Member