too much filtration?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by klutz10154, Dec 2, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

I'm making a DIY filter and was wondering if its possible to have too much filtration for the tank. I think I'm going to start by doing one for a 5 gal I have lying around or maybe the 10 gal. Is it possible to have too much media? any help/suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I would say no regarding the filtering, yes on media only if it reduces flow rate below what's recommended

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You can't have too much filtration, but you can have too much current. If you are making your own filter, you can make it suit your needs. For a 5 or 10 gallon tank though, you shouldn't have it stocked to the point you would be worried about not having enough filtration. I would do a small canister filter.

4. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

what so you mean by recommended? what would these recommendations be?

we're trying to think of something for our 30 gallon as well. in the 10 gal there isn't any fish in there yet. the 10 gal only has 3 mollies...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would make a mini canister filter. You could probably even use a Tupperware container or something.

You could also take a sponge filter and craft a container to hold it, with biomedia on top of the sponge.

For the 30 gallon I think a small sump would be good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

The suggested gph - I don't know what it is for a 10 gal. I think your supposed to flip your water 6 times. I have 3 filters on my 55 totaling 965 gph but 265 of that is just to build bacteria in a new filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice