Too much disturbance?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 29 gallon tank that came with an Aqueon Power Filter 20, but it seems to disturb the water A LOT.

I have the ank filled up within a centimetre of the top black edge and it is still very audible and creates a lot of bubbles. I am wondering if this will be a problem? I have a planted tank and will have a school of neon tetras, a school of serpaes, a DG, a guppy, and some cories.

Any thoughts? Is it ok or should I try and rig something onto the filter so it is not create such a gushing waterfall?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shouldn't be a problem - that filter isn't too much for your tank. As you stock the tank it might not be enough though.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Edit: It is actually a Aqueon Powerfilter 30. The website mislabled it, just checked the box it came in.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as you don't see the fish hiding from it or being blown around by it then it should be fine.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
Shouldn't be a problem - that filter isn't too much for your tank. As you stock the tank it might not be enough though.
It's better that it's a 30 and not a 20, but my previous post still holds true.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Jaysee, duly noted. What size of filter should I get for an additional one? I am going to be getting similar to a Hagen Elite Mini filter hopefully if I can find one, for diffusing C02. Would this do the trick?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, if you're doing CO2 and all that's a realm I don't know about. Wait for someone who knows about plants.

From the fish side, I would get a filter of the same size.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haha ok thanks for your help!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning. The link above may give you some ideas on diffusing the filter flow so that it isn't so strong and yet it won't bother the filters performance.

I use a brick sponge and cut it just a tad bit larger than the filter out flow area. I force it to fit and it works great. No strings or threads needed since I have to make it fit.

Ken

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the suggestion!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads