Too Much Decor??

1. Marta Z.

Marta Z. New Member Member

Hey everyone.

I have a 20 gal with 1 silver Molly, 1 albino Cory Catfish and 1 Pleco.

I was thinking about changing the decor around, but feel like it's too much inside already. Especially for my Pleco to swim at the bottom.

U guys think I should remove some decor to make more space??? 20180517_122948.jpg 20180517_123045.jpg 20180517_123020.jpg 20180517_123029.jpg

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hi not so much a comment on your decor, but on the pleco. I hope you don't mind me saying, but that type of pleco gets too big for a 20g (you'd need about 150G for that boy). You may find it helpful to re-home him/her.

3. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Wow n of.course the only pet store where I live Petsmart said it would be fine to have him in there I love him..I do t have a bigger tank to reghome him

4. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I know, they are beautiful fish, but I suspect he is the source of your poop problems. Hopefully you can find a nice home for him with lots of room to swim.:)

I don't know why LFS even sell common plecos there are so few people who can properly house them.

5. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

If I would of found this forum before I would of never bought him...when I was younger we had a 55gal with a Pleco in there also which I loved watching (him/her) swim around and was awesome on eating all the algee ..thats y i wanted one for my tank now ...thanks for the advice ill try my best to find him a home

6. B

Bruno New Member Member

yeah I think your decor looks fine, maybe take out 1 thing for a little extra floor room, but as mazeus said, the pleco has got to be re homed, they can get up to 12-18 inches. Also I'd recommend getting more albino corys because they are a schooling fish, and just one single cory by itself will make it very unhappy. A school should be between 5-6+. Dont trust petco or petsmart in the future, its always better to look up the species online or on the forums here before purchasing :).

7. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

I personally think there's too much decor for such a big pleco.. give him some space to move around at night. I took a lot of my decor out because it simply takes up a lot of room and the fish need space to move around and not feel so limited

8. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

Amount of decor, live plants, fake plants, wood, rock, etc really depends on the species of fish you have. Many nano or smaller fish prefer a lot of cover so lots of decorations etc is great. Other species need open water at some level in the tank.