Too much current?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jan 3, 2013.

1. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

How do I know if I have too much current for my corals? Some of them blow consistently to one side or the other or both. :/

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Have any closed up? How many power heads and what is the gph on them? What type of corals?

3. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

I have two power heads a 1200 and a small one that was given to me, maybe a 600? They are in a 125 gal tank. The corals that seem to be blowing the most is a torch and a leather, everything else looks fine.

4. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Can you adjust the flow or position of the power heads? IMO it looks to be the right flow rate but if they are right in front of the flow area that maybe why they are getting pushed a lot. If you can move them do so to a lesser flow area or try to reposition the power heads. Than again my torch does much better in more current. Are the power heads on a wave maker?

5. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I would agree with Jessi, you have about 15x flow from the powerheads. So I don't think it is too much flow.

Most corals like lots of flow (think of how much flow the ocean currents create), but one thing they don't like is being 'blasted' by direct flow.

What corals do you have? If you have LPS (bubble/elegance for example) they like the flow (filter feeders), but they don't like having the power heads directly pointed at them.

As Jessi suggested, if the corals aren't retracted, you're probably ok. If they are retracted, redirect the flow so they're not getting 'blasted'. Most of my corals sway with the current, it's quite mesmerizing actually (part of the appeal of reef tanks). Assuming all other parameters are where they should be of course ;)