Important Too much amonia for nerite snails??

What should I do?

• Leave em(its fine)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move them to a tank with water temp water and conditioner(new water)

• Other?

• Total voters

Galactica555

Reaction score
I have been cycling my 20gallon tank for a week(First day added bubblers,variety of plants,rocks, and some bacteria(fish store gave me double I needed and said add it all). Few days ago was told to add more fish food that you would normally to kick start the cycle?(kept fish when I was little so"how much" was very vague) today I got 4 about 1/2inch nerites. I looked it up and it takes Three days for the ammonia to start?? So that means the bacteria will now bloom??(i had bacteria bloom first few days/algae on most stuff Minimally. Told that was great for cycling? Was also told I HAD to add snails or shrimp or it wouldn't fully cycle??) I'm confused and now very worried if they now might die of ammonia posisoning?? What do I do?! i tried sucking up as much of the food as I could see.(now had white growth)

Galactica555 said:
I have been cycling my 20gallon tank for a week(First day added bubblers,variety of plants,rocks, and some bacteria(fish store gave me double I needed and said add it all). Few days ago was told to add more fish food that you would normally to kick start the cycle?(kept fish when I was little so"how much" was very vague) today I got 4 about 1/2inch nerites. I looked it up and it takes Three days for the ammonia to start?? So that means the bacteria will now bloom??(i had bacteria bloom first few days/algae on most stuff Minimally. Told that was great for cycling? Was also told I HAD to add snails or shrimp or it wouldn't fully cycle??) I'm confused and now very worried if they now might die of ammonia posisoning?? What do I do?! i tried sucking up as much of the food as I could see.(now had white growth)
Ican give more details if needed???

Moonchild848

Reaction score
Easier said than done to clean out such a huge tank. I am new here and only have a five gallon one but I think maybe removing the little nerites to a safer place might be a good idea while you sort out the amonia issue. I think a lot of marimo balls help with nitrites etc. I hope your little snails will be okay...I know how stressful it is when everythingn suddenly goes out of whack...It sucks :-(

OP
Galactica555

Galactica555

Reaction score
Moonchild848 said:
Easier said than done to clean out such a huge tank. I am new here and only have a five gallon one but I think maybe removing the little nerites to a safer place might be a good idea while you sort out the amonia issue. I think a lot of marimo balls help with nitrites etc. I hope your little snails will be okay...I know how stressful it is when everythingn suddenly goes out of whack...It sucks :-(
What should I do for the night? I'm worried about adding them to my bladder snail tank(1 gallon and hasfew day old hatchlings) my only other option is fresh water in another 1 gallon with conditioner(could try and work out a bubbler situation)

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow! Talking about bad advice. Whoever your getting advice from is setting you up for failure. Stop taking their advice!

Snails and shrimp should only be added to an established, cycled tank because their diets consist mainly of algae.

Any amount of ammonia is bad, so you need to do water changes to keep the ammonia as low as possible, or re-home everything in that tank to an established tank. If this is just for one night, put them in your other tank.

Do you have a test kit? If not, get the API Freshwater Master Kit. It's more expensive than strips initially, but it lasts a lot longer, and is cheaper in the long run.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH? Without knowing those, we have no idea what to advise, other than doing a large water change to lower the ammonia to a safe level.

New Threads