Too Much Algae & Plant Stems Rotting

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by yvonnedono, Jun 17, 2019.

1. yvonnedono

yvonnedonoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    I have switched to a new substrate and planted new plants - it has been about 4 months since. At first I almost lost some of them. I was able to save some and they are starting to come back. But, my current issues are:
    1 - too much algae on plants, rocks, glass
    2 - difficult time with plants taking root and stems rotting
    3 - slow growth.
    4 - the Vallisneria Spiralis - I lost the first batch and just put some in a week ago. They are already twisting and becoming translucent. (see photo).

Here are plant specs (hope I include all the right stuff)!
    • 55 gallon low tech tank - live plants (see photo to get an idea of how many) 3/4 distilled water, 1/4 well water. Beginning to try and switch over to all well water but the well water has nitrates.
    • Lighting: Fluval Smart Aquasky Model 14534. 2400 lumens. Set for: sunset: 1-3 pm, day light 3-9 pm (74% red, 12% green, 100% blue, 90% white)
    • PH: 6.8-7
    • Temp 76
    • Nitrite: 0
    • Nitrate 0 (but did struggle with nitrates for two months after the new substrate was put in)
    • Ammonia 0-0.25
    • GH and KH: 2" dkh ppm 35.8
    • Phosphate: 0
    • Fertilize: NilocG Aquatics Thrive S (the version for shrimp to avoid adding on to my earlier nitrate issue) I was rotating between Seachem flourish and trace 1-2 a week each but swithced to Thrive a month ago. algae was already an issue
    • Co2 booster from API once a daily (5 ml)
    • Stress Zyme and Stress coat once a week
    I hope this wasn't too much info and too big a question for one post! thanks for feedback. plants 1.plants 2.plants 3.plants 4.plants 5.

2. mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +177
    Experience:
    2 years
    Maybe I missed it...what substrate did you switch to? Did you mean sunrise 1-3pm?

3. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
  4. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    plants 1.plants 2.plants 3.plants 5.

Attached Files:

5. Dennis57

Dennis57Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +71
    Experience:
    5 years
    Tank and plants look very nice, Are you talking about the black spots on the plants

6. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Experience:
    2 years
    Vals i believe tend to melt with liquid carbon so that could be the issue with them.

But eco complete isnt a good substrate its pretty much inert gravel and its not easy for plants to root in. You will probably need to add root tabs too.

7. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you for the complement on the tank and plants! I am talking about the algae spots (not the dark spots on the ferns that grow into roots)

8. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    You dont have nitrates. Your plants are starving. Dose more heavily on the thrive

9. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    I figured out too late that eco complete wasn't too good. everybody raved about it when I was shopping around. I have root tabs in the water already. forgot to mention that......
    Will stop with the liquid carbon and see how that goes. thanks for your feedback

10. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    i guess I over did it on getting rid of the nitrates and phosphates. They were so high for a while - I'll take out the nitrate pillows.

11. Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    Do a 50 percent water change right after. This will help reset your fertilizers.

12. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    By the way, will the algae go away once I correct or do I have to clean algae off plants in addition? what ppm should nitrates and phosphates be?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  13. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Experience:
    2 years
    Most algae should go away after a while if everything is kept in balance.

14. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    Great! Thanks for your help. I will post when I have results!

15. Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    Any update?

16. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    I did a water change, stopped using the co2 boost, ordered the circulation pump and purigen filter, took out the nitrate and phosphate pillows to allow nitrate and phosphate to develop in the tank and added in some of my well water which has nitrates. i think it is too soon to see results. Oh, I also planted the stem plants deep into the substrate - had to put weights on some of them as well to keep them in place.

ammonia is gone. Other than that it is too soon to know if the algae will go away.

In the meantime, my largest barb tried to swim through a hole in one of my plastic barks and got stuck. had to push him throw and he damaged his scales/skin. wound started getting white so now I'm treating tank with metafix and pitafix. (sp?) Hopefully the addition of the treatments will not hurt the plants or the balance I'm trying to achieve.

I am grateful for all the advice I've gotten and will definitely keep updating.

17. OP
    OP
    yvonnedono

Ratings:
    +9
    I think I may be seeing an improvement in the amount of algae. Ammonia is gone. I couldn't get the pump pointed at the back of the tank as no matter what I did it knocked my plants on their sides! I got the weakest nano pump I could find. I did leave it in the tank, though, and have it skimming across the top of the water. Fish seem to like it.