Too Much Aeration??

1. Little fry babies

Little fry babies Valued Member Member

Is there such thing as having too much aeration in a 60 gallon tank? I cirrently an cycling the tank but when i am dome i want to buy co2, a bubbler, and an air stone . i have the marineland 350 power filter,(though id love to have a canister filter instead) but i am not sure if all that is necessary .And what bubbler is best to get for a big aquarium or does that not matter?

Oh and an air pump since i forgot to imclide my main topic im there .Oops.

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Valued Member Member

I've never heard of having too much aeration... not sure about the bubbler though

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

One should consider that too many sources of bubbles will increase the chance of a fish getting swim bladder disorder, as they will try to eat the bubbles.

4. RainBetta

RainBetta Valued Member Member

Great point! I didn't think of that!

5. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

If your going to add co2 then yes you can have too much airation. I wouldnt add a bubbler myself your filter should be enough

6. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Normally you shouldn’t have any aeration when you’re injecting Co2 into your tank. It’ll cause the Co2 to gas out but you can have it and turn it on during night, when the lights are off and the plants are taking in o2 and releasing Co2.

7. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

Thank you for your helpful advice! I will make sure not to do over do it. ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

So if you have a bubbler you dont need co2 ?

9. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

No. Having a bubbler will gas off your co2 so you will waste co2. Your filter will generally add enough oxygen to a tank.

10. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

@Discus-Tang i assume you are joking, any bubbles fish may want to eat pop long before actually being eaten...

@Little fry babies there isn't really such thing as too much aeration.... although with fry (if you're asking for them) you may want to limit the amount of current.

Ideally, in every aquarium, you will have at least some sort of motion on 100% of the tank's water surface. Whether it be your filter, bubbles, or a pump.

11. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Not true. My guppies have eaten bubbles.

12. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. :) there is always so much to learn from this hobby and to make sure its done accurately .It is overwhelming at times.

13. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

Interesting, I've never heard of this or read about it.... I'll look it up :p