Too Many Snails, Good? Bad?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had like one or two wild snails in the plant that i bought.. within weeks there are like 25-30 of them..are they beneficial? My tank has guppies and neon tetras

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, for one they will eat uneaten waste, that's a pro.
Another, they produce masses of waste, that's a con.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Now I confused. Even though if i think of removing them..what do i do with them

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Fanatic put it the right way about eating uneaten fish food and even aglea, but they produce as much algae as they as they eat because their waste also breaks down eventually into nitrates. They also need oxygen so they will compete for it with other tank inhabitants. And if you couple turned into 25, eventually your 25 will turn into 250 and so on.

Cheesearmada

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know my ghost shrimps eat my 'pest snails' aka the ones that come with plants you buy. Should be helpful in curbing the population. But it just may be my shrimp who exhibit that behavior

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So guys..should i remove them? If yes..should I just dump them somewhere?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snail population numbers usually are determined with the sheer AMOUNT of food available. For example, if you start with 2 Bladder/Pond snails with a tank with NO live plants and NO algae yet, their numbers usually aren't that prone to multiplying. However, another example is, if you DO have live plants, and a significant amount of algae, they can and will multiply. But let's say your snail population becomes an even 12, and there's NO more exposure to any additional food sources, their numbers usually will not further escalate. It's usually relative to how much food is available that determines if the population will either grow...remain the same...or shrink. Final example is this: I had 2 Bladder snail hitchhikers that came from some Java Moss I purchased from one of my LFS. I had a LOT of algae/food for them. They reproduced and grew to an estimated 14 or so. I then ensured the appropriate steps to eliminate most of my algae. Eventually their numbers started to even out and dwindle, per the lack of sustainable food sources. My current number is only about 4 snails. So in essence as with snails, it's kinda like, SOMETIMES...SOMETIMES...two steps forward...and one step back.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have Mystery and nerites so I don’t appreciate the pests.

I remove them daily. Every water change I remove all that are above the low water mark, and as many others I can find.

But I leave them in my guppy rearing tanks as they eat the waste.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sometimes I think about adding a few malaysian trumpet snails to my tanks to stir the sand up. Then I read how they can overpopulate so easy, and the best recommendation to control them is to get a couple assassin snails. I keep mystery and nerite snails though, and don't want the assassins to kill the WRONG snails. So I try my best to avoid all pest snails by treating new plants with alum.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had the same issue with some hitchhikers that came in on some water sprite from my LFS. I told the owner on my next visit and he actually tossed me a couple of assassin snails for free in an attempt to curb the problem. They make WAY less waste, they're not hermaphroditic so you don't have to worry about them overrunning the tank like the "pest" species, and as the name suggests they're known for murking other snails.

That said, I put the two assassins in the tank about 3 weeks ago, the mystery snails are still abundant as ever, and I've seen the assassins all of maybe 3 times since, soooo not quite sure what's going on because I've read of people having half a dozen nerites dead because they didn't know the assassin snails would, well, assassinate the nerites.

If you're looking for a more "biological warfare" approach, there's always Dwarf puffers that are adorable, peaceful, and they LOVE to eat snails, especially those tender little babies!

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Someone told me to add a peice of cucumber in the tank..and all snail will stick to it..i can remove them out then...true??

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They won’t exactly stick to the cucumber, they’ll come out to feed on it overnight, in the morning you can remove it & dispose of them.
It won’t get rid of all of them but will help keep the numbers down if you do it regularly.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
They won’t exactly stick to the cucumber, they’ll come out to feed on it overnight, in the morning you can remove it & dispose of them.
It won’t get rid of all of them but will help keep the numbers down if you do it regularly.
Thanks..i hope the cucumber is safe for guppies and tetras..right?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it’s safe for them they may even have a nibble themselves, you can also try zucchini, the snails love that too & in my experience it doesn’t go mushy as quickly as cucumber

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Yes it’s safe for them they may even have a nibble themselves, you can also try zucchini, the snails love that too & in my experience it doesn’t go mushy as quickly as cucumber
I addd zucchini...they dosent seem to be interested ..LOL

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sometimes throw in a canned, (more tender) semi-mashed green pea; snails, fish and shrimp love those!

Kinda give the green pea a bit of a light squeeze, because if you smush it up too too much, it can just make a cloudy, small particle cloudy green mess.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom