Too Many Silk Plants?

1. Gala Member Member

Hello everyone! I am a VERY new member to this site but I end up coming to it a lot when I need help lol I just want some opinions on my tank. is a Betta tank with two little nerite snails in it.
    I have been through so many tanks with this little guy. He was an impulse buy I will admit.
    He is in a 6.6 gallon tank, silk plants are hot glued to the polymer clay decor, he has two snails, a filter, a heater, and a timed light. I took out the marimo balls though, they were shedding like mad and I know I didn't keep up with them like I should. I feed him freeze dried blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, pellets, and daphnia.
    He is a half moon and I love him. But...I don't know if his tank has too many plants and not enough swim space. I figured since he has big fins he would want a lot of rest spots. What do you guys think about the tank? Should I add or take away anything?
    Please do not be too harsh if I have done something wrong, I have only had him for about a year and a half and he is my first fish. The last site I went to chewed me out for how I treated him without a filter so I left there.

Attached Files:

2. Gala Member Member

I forgot one thing! Water changes! In case any one wants to know, I do water changes once a week. I take out all the gravel and decor, vacuum out almost all the water, and wipe off decor as best as I can. There is still water in the filter since it is a HOB and I do not mess with that unless it needs a rinse in the tank water. I fill up a five gallon bucket, let it sit with the conditioner and my IAL extract in it for a while (sometimes I add salt just as a precaution, heard it can prevent or two diseases...don't know if it's true). Then fill it back up, add everything back in, and turn it back on again. Obviously I take the snails and fish out into a transport tank and let them watch some YouTube or TV, the fish seems to like it lol. That's how I've been doing it for while and it seems to keep him healthy. I used to get fin rot when I did the whole 20-30% changes, whatever the amount is, but since I've cleaned it this way I've only had one, and that was when I moved his tank to another room so he could get more attention.

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Your tank is fine. Bettas live in rice paddies in the wild so they like heavily planted tanks. As long as none of them could hurt his fins he will be fine.

It's great that he's in a 6.6 gallon he must be so happy :) It's so horrible to see them in those bowls.

You don't need to take out so much water. 50% once a week is enough. Putting him in a bag will be stressful for him.

I thought I was the only one who showed their betta youtube videos!
  4. SaltyPrncss Initiate Member

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question OP, but I was wondering where you got your silk plants? :) I've been trying to find some nice plain green ones!

5. Gala Member Member

Thank you! Was worried he hated all of the plants lol
    Okay, question about the water change: How do I clean out the gravel without sucking any up?
    Cause I used to have a siphon and it worked well...until I needed to clean the gravel, then it would get all clogged up. That's when I started to take all of it out so I could get all of the poop and stuff out of the tank. Or is it like...50% every week then 100% like once a month?
    Saaaame, I mean it keeps him happy lol, I even draw on his tank with erasable markers and he just stares at them like wtf?

I actually got them at Petco, they tend to have a bigger stock selection than PetSmart. Amazon probably sells some good ones too. I know what you mean by just plain green though, these were like the ONLY broad leaf green ones I could find!
    I am a paranoid person though and hot glued all the edges so they wouldn't fray lol
  6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What you can do is stir up the gravel then suck up the dirt that comes up with the siphon
  7. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Hi, you're betta is so cute!
    I have a heavily planted tank as well, and it's a 10 gallon.

8. Gala Member Member

9. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Thank you, and you're welcome.
  10. Dan Harvey Initiate Member

Looks good I try and a combination of silk and real plants

Just set up a week ago so just cycling at the moment

11. FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

You'll be fine! I once had a tank literally jam-packed with assortments of plants, rocks and driftwood, and my plakat betta just spent all day exploring. Due to their natural habitat having long, tall plants, if you replicate that, they'll feel even more at home. And judging by his diet, he's most likely in heaven, lol.

Also, if you have a siphon, you can just press it into the gravel so all the waste comes up and into the bucket. That's what I do, except I have sand, so I just hover it above :)

Did you cycle your tank? If it's already established and you do consistent maintenance on the tank, a test kit is not too necessary. It's something you will need and I recommend having on hand, but personally, I don't use it too much.
  12. Gala Member Member

@Dan Harvey- I love the black sand and the light, you're baby is gonna love that home

@FlutterFish- Yeah it's cycled, he did get a little freaked out when I moved the tank to family room and got a small bout of fin rot but it cleared up real fast once he got used to it lol.
    And I used to do that with the siphon but it would ALWAYS get clogged with gravel, and I worried I wasn't cleaning it good.

I've actually changed his plants around a little, they didn't stick to the decor all that well when I cleaned them and the snails didn't go on any of the tank items that had plants on them. So I used a silicone base but they even slipped out of that too! So now I'm using old reliable hot glue lol so the tank isn't so infested with leaves but still gives him enough to hide in.

I will say, this fish has been my biggest money waster lol I really regret not researching and now my mom mocks me for it when I tell her taking care of these little fighters are easy and fun. But now these guys have become my favorite animal and I plan on having one constantly in my life. :)