Too many shrimp??

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Hello shrimp keepers.Im curious to know how many shrimp is just too darn many in a 10 gal tank lol.I posted a bit several months ago when I started seeing baby shrimp popping up and since then my little colony of a dozen shrimp has turned in to 500-600 shrimp.i moved about 100 into a community tank hoping my nano fishes will munch on any new shrimplets.My 10gal shrimp tank still has 400+ in and that's just counting the shrimp old enough to see.Theres berried shrimp everywhere.I have heared that the populations will kind of level themselves off over time.Im not sure if that means that adult shrimp might start dieing off or if it just means shrimplet survival rate will just kind of plummit.For what it's worth the tank is about 75% filled with water sprites.I never feed and I do a 10% water change every 2 weeks.They just keep making more and more and more.At this point I'm not concerned too much about shrimplet survival but I dont want to see adults dieing. I havnt seen a dead adult shrimp in 5-6 months so I'm quite pleased that they are thriving with basically 0 maintainance other than a small gravel vac and water top off.

Best Answer - View SilverLake's answer

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Convoluted77 said:
Hello shrimp keepers.Im curious to know how many shrimp is just too darn many in a 10 gal tank lol.I posted a bit several months ago when I started seeing baby shrimp popping up and since then my little colony of a dozen shrimp has turned in to 500-600 shrimp.i moved about 100 into a community tank hoping my nano fishes will munch on any new shrimplets.My 10gal shrimp tank still has 400+ in and that's just counting the shrimp old enough to see.Theres berried shrimp everywhere.I have heared that the populations will kind of level themselves off over time.Im not sure if that means that adult shrimp might start dieing off or if it just means shrimplet survival rate will just kind of plummit.For what it's worth the tank is about 75% filled with water sprites.I never feed and I do a 10% water change every 2 weeks.They just keep making more and more and more.At this point I'm not concerned too much about shrimplet survival but I dont want to see adults dieing. I havnt seen a dead adult shrimp in 5-6 months so I'm quite pleased that they are thriving with basically 0 maintainance other than a small gravel vac and water top off.
If you have a LFS withing half an hour or so you could try contacting them about trading/selling with them to keep numbers down and them stocked. If your shrimp are any kind of sell-able.
That being said.. shrimp have a seriously small bio-load, and if they aren't being actively fed they should almost be net negative.. that being said, I'm sure eventually it'll add up. with this in mind you might see what you could do to lessen the shimp's belief that it is time to procreate. This can easily be done by droping the tank's temp down to ~78 F or so, much lower and the shrimp aren't happy. make sure the tank doesn't change temp fast however, maybe a degree or two a day if you aren't in a rush.

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
SilverLake said:
If you have a LFS withing half an hour or so you could try contacting them about trading/selling with them to keep numbers down and them stocked. If your shrimp are any kind of sell-able.
That being said.. shrimp have a seriously small bio-load, and if they aren't being actively fed they should almost be net negative.. that being said, I'm sure eventually it'll add up. with this in mind you might see what you could do to lessen the shimp's belief that it is time to procreate. This can easily be done by droping the tank's temp down to ~78 F or so, much lower and the shrimp aren't happy. make sure the tank doesn't change temp fast however, maybe a degree or two a day if you aren't in a rush.
Thanks.If my lfs is opened back up I'll see If they can use some.They are actually pretty high quality fire reds that have surprisingly been breeding very true so far altho I expect that to change in time.As for the temp I've definately heared about lowering the temps but I actually keep my shrimp tank at 70-71 degrees and I've never seen a temp higher than 72 with lights on.I can try lowering a bit more tho.Im not in a rush at all.I was only concerned about having a massive die off or something but you're right about the bio-load.If I dont use ferts the nitrates stay pretty much undetectable.

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Convoluted77 said:
That's quite a lot of shrimp, umm can you call any program willing to take them in? Or maybe craigslist. Not so sure, if you can't find any willing to take them in just yet, I would get a bigger tank for the time being.

Jon Crosby

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Convoluted77 said:
I can take a pic after work tonight :)
Perfect, Can't wait to see it.

I have got a 5G RCS with about 30 in and 10ish pregnant ones so hoping to see a growth in population

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Convoluted77 said:
Thanks.If my lfs is opened back up I'll see If they can use some.They are actually pretty high quality fire reds that have surprisingly been breeding very true so far altho I expect that to change in time.As for the temp I've definately heared about lowering the temps but I actually keep my shrimp tank at 70-71 degrees and I've never seen a temp higher than 72 with lights on.I can try lowering a bit more tho.Im not in a rush at all.I was only concerned about having a massive die off or something but you're right about the bio-load.If I dont use ferts the nitrates stay pretty much undetectable.
I wouldn't go any lower, just keep up the maintenance until you can offload them somewhere, but that's an amazing colony.

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Jon Crosby said:
Perfect, Can't wait to see it.

I have got a 5G RCS with about 30 in and 10ish pregnant ones so hoping to see a growth in population
Not the greatest pics.Kind of hard to show the whole tank but heres some random pics.i threw in some algae wafers and cleared out some plants.15941911988353474611434323578123.jpg15941912243276692361819932228128.jpg15941912380174330478849056549152.jpg15941912596218281408499503226112.jpg15941912869225078176979305709589.jpg15941916377006645274981232155568.jpg15941911988353474611434323578123.jpg15941912243276692361819932228128.jpg15941912380174330478849056549152.jpg15941912596218281408499503226112.jpg15941912869225078176979305709589.jpg

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
And here I am worried about getting shrimp for my tank and hoping they will survive. I wished we lived closer I would want some of your shrimp.

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Shrimps are pretty rewarding and interesting critters.I got off to a bit of a slow start at 1st.I started with a dozen shrimp.Lost a few in the 1st couple months and never saw any berried shrimp.i switched over to remineralized ro water and added a couple more males and it was game on.Id definately give them ago if you have access to decent consistant water.

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your tank looks very interesting with black and blue substrate with plants and wood, I kinda like it.

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
blushrimp1 said:
I really like that driftwood with the green growing on top of it. Is that algae? Bet the shrimps love grazing on it.
Yep its algae.I decided to let it grow and not do maintainance on it.The strange thing is that theres no visible algae on the plants or glass.Ive never cleaned the glass or removed any algae other than a few random strands of string algae that popped up on a filter outflow.The tank just takes care of itself.Wish I could find that balance in my other tanks :)

blushrimp1

Reaction score
That's really nice Convoluted! I wish my shrimp tank was like yours. I have a constant battle with staghorn algae.

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
RedGallant said:
Your tank looks very interesting with black and blue substrate with plants and wood, I kinda like it.
Thanks.Personally I wish I had just used solid black but it's not like the shrimp care

OP
Convoluted77

Convoluted77

Reaction score
blushrimp1 said:
That's really nice Convoluted! I wish my shrimp tank was like yours. I have a constant battle with staghorn algae.
Beginners luck.I probobly could never repeat it haha

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom