Too Many Rocks?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by sirdan89, Jun 21, 2018.

1. sirdan89

sirdan89 New Member Member

I picked up these big lava rocks for my 29g aquarium. My girlfriend has me worried now if i put too many the aquarium might break. Is this really an issue? Also i suppose I have to worry about falling rocks. Anything I can do to secure them to each other that would be fish safe? I would like to give the fish some hiding spots and also create some height in the tank. I will have a lot of other questions on the forum but lets start here.

2. OP
    OP
    sirdan89

sirdan89 New Member Member

Also what about rocks against the glass? Is it a bad idea?

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It should be fine. Lava rock isn’t a heavy rock like other rocks used to aquascape. You should try to have them sit up on each other or support each other. If you want something permanent use 100% silicone. Or you can use aquarium safe epoxy or aquarium safe super glue gel.

Yeah it might be a bad idea if it’s against the glass.

4. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

I had a tank full of rocks that I took for the beach. I mean it was FULL of rocks and I never had any issues. And these were much heavier than lava rock, and they were against the glass in the back of the tank.

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

If you are concerned about the weight stressing the bottom you could add egg crate (light diffuser) under the rocks.
    If they’re is a chance of a rock falling I would silicone it in place, or reinforce the area some other way, falling rocks can cause damage to glass/inhabitants.

Rocks against glass... not “harmful” per se, but a bad idea overall. When you need to clean the glass you will need to move the rock... if it is secured in place by silicone not a huge deal, but realize you won’t be able to get behind it to clean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice