Too many plants

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not really. Goldfish are pooping machines so I wouldn’t be worried about it depending on bioload. Always can dose if looks wrong

OP
wicca1971

wicca1971

Reaction score
Just asking because I have one very large fancy goldfish in a 75 gallon tank who seems to have gotten very clumsy in his swimming. Almost seems like he doesn't realize he can actually swim through some of the plants. Just wasn't sure if the plants could actually scare the fish in some way.

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wicca1971 said:
Just asking because I have one very large fancy goldfish in a 75 gallon tank who seems to have gotten very clumsy in his swimming. Almost seems like he doesn't realize he can actually swim through some of the plants. Just wasn't sure if the plants could actually scare the fish in some way.
Goldfish commonly have swim bladder and eye site issues depending on type and age. I’m not an expert on goldfish so you may want to make a difference thead for it. My fish love the plants and swimming through them.

OP
wicca1971

wicca1971

Reaction score
I am actually in the process of helping him with his swim bladder issue. He gets it from time to time. Putting a heater in seems to have helped a lot.
I just wasn't sure if too many plants may actually scare a fish?

brownie17

Reaction score
Hi, Wicca. Do not overpopulate the aquarium with fish and oxygen will be enough even with very dense planting .Watch the fish and plants - they will show the optimum. With a high density of plants and the absence of aeration, you can run into another trouble-too much CO2 at night, because plants also produce CO2 at night, and photosynthesis does not go. Night aeration saves.

DannyPritchett01

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
brownie17 said:
Hi, Wicca. Do not overpopulate the aquarium with fish and oxygen will be enough even with very dense planting .Watch the fish and plants - they will show the optimum. With a high density of plants and the absence of aeration, you can run into another trouble-too much CO2 at night, because plants also produce CO2 at night, and photosynthesis does not go. Night aeration saves.
I just read this and got a thought. If plants produce CO2 at night when the lights are off, why do we inject CO2 in the water for some plants. That's a random thought that hit my mind. Thinking instead of dosing with CO2 why not add extra plants.

New Threads