Too Many Plants?

Kbblaize

Reaction score
Hello! I recently have gotten into live plants. I never had any for our 10 gal tank, and in November we upgraded to a 55 gal tank. We just put a few plants in and I'm not sure if we have to many in our tank. We have 4 goldfish, a golden loch, and a dalmatian molly. I figure the plants will grow and I would be able to trI'm and plant more if I wanted but this part is so new to me. AlsonI'm not sure I planted them right, I kinda just put them in how I got them. Nothing is around any roots. 20190208_202455.jpg 20190208_202439.jpg 20190208_202442.jpg 20190208_202446.jpg 20190208_202450.jpg 20190208_202414.jpg 20190208_202434.jpg I would appreciate any help! I have included some pictures to help. Thankyou!

Eric S.

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't say too many at all. Some people have heavily planted tanks that include even more than this! One thing you should keep in mind is that goldfish tend to eat plants, they may try to eat these. This is not always the case and I would keep an eye on them to see if they are or not.
As far as planting, depending on the type of plant, they just need to be put in the ground and they will do fine. Though I'm not a plant expert, I'm not sure which need better substrate. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with that.

Fishlover245735

Reaction score
I have just sand in my 5 gallon somewhat planted tank and small pea gravel in my other more heavily planted tank for the substitute and my plants are growing fine! Do you put any root tabs or fertilizer in? I put API leaf zone... my opinion is that you can never have too many plants!

BrynneAleks

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks like you have java fern, Amazon sword, anacharis, wisteria, moneywort and some others I can't remember the name to. I don't think you have too many plants. The more plants, the less likely you'll have algae problems because the live plants will eat up the nutrients algae would end up using to thrive. If anything, do some Google searches on the plant names I listed that you have so you can have a better idea of what kind of plants you have and what kind of lighting and caring measurements you'll need for them. There are differences between true aquatic plants and semI aquatic plants, so see what you have if some die, don't lose hope - plants are a little harder to care for than what meets the eye

NYFishGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Java fern rhizome shouldn't be buried pics 2&5. I just zip tie to a rock or use the flexible lead strips the plants sometimes come with to weigh down

OP
Kbblaize

Kbblaize

Reaction score
Eric S. said:
I wouldn't say too many at all. Some people have heavily planted tanks that include even more than this! One thing you should keep in mind is that goldfish tend to eat plants, they may try to eat these. This is not always the case and I would keep an eye on them to see if they are or not.
As far as planting, depending on the type of plant, they just need to be put in the ground and they will do fine. Though I'm not a plant expert, I'm not sure which need better substrate. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with that.
I have noticed some of the plants are looking like they have been someone's lunch Haha. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Fishlover245735 said:
I have just sand in my 5 gallon somewhat planted tank and small pea gravel in my other more heavily planted tank for the substitute and my plants are growing fine! Do you put any root tabs or fertilizer in? I put API leaf zone... my opinion is that you can never have too many plants!
No I m not sure what root tabs are, and I didnt realize I could put fertilizer in it.

BrynneAleks said:
It looks like you have java fern, Amazon sword, anacharis, wisteria, moneywort and some others I can't remember the name to. I don't think you have too many plants. The more plants, the less likely you'll have algae problems because the live plants will eat up the nutrients algae would end up using to thrive. If anything, do some Google searches on the plant names I listed that you have so you can have a better idea of what kind of plants you have and what kind of lighting and caring measurements you'll need for them. There are differences between true aquatic plants and semI aquatic plants, so see what you have if some die, don't lose hope - plants are a little harder to care for than what meets the eye
I did try looking up some but I wasn't sure on the names. Thankyou! I'll go do some more reaserch.

NYFishGuy said:
Java fern rhizome shouldn't be buried pics 2&5. I just zip tie to a rock or use the flexible lead strips the plants sometimes come with to weigh down
Oh no! I'll look into something to weigh it down. When I got it someone told me to just put them all in the substrate and it will be fine.

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cotton thread or fishing line also works good to tie down java ferns.

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your plants look ok, if you want the max growth use CO2 and plant tabs. this is a 55 gallon with CO2 and plant tabs.

DSCN4475.JPG

OP
Kbblaize

Kbblaize

Reaction score
fish 321 said:
Cotton thread or fishing line also works good to tie down java ferns.
I do have some fishing line! Thankyou!

fissh said:
Your plants look ok, if you want the max growth use CO2 and plant tabs. this is a 55 gallon with CO2 and plant tabs.
Oh my! That is very heavy. I feel better with my few that I have. Thankyou!

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CO2 isn't really necessary, especially for these types of plants. You could go with a liquid fertilizer and root tabs and get good growth. Good photo period (the length of time you have the lights on) with a decent quality light, and you should make your plants plenty happy. If it ever comes down to you wanting to get into CO2 setups down the line then it wouldnt be a bad thing. Just do lots of research and ask questions here if you ever need some clarification.

Try to give the plants about at least a month to do their own thing and settle in. Your amazon swords will likely develop new leaves that live up to its name in that it's more sword-like. Often times these plants are grown emersed before being sold.

I don't see any wisteria as another member had mentioned... I'm guessing it was an identification for the plant in the back right, but it doesn't quite look like even the emersed form. My guess would be some kind or rotala? I'm not sure myself, we'll see how it settles in the next month or so.

BrynneAleks

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
candiedragon said:
CO2 isn't really necessary, especially for these types of plants. You could go with a liquid fertilizer and root tabs and get good growth. Good photo period (the length of time you have the lights on) with a decent quality light, and you should make your plants plenty happy. If it ever comes down to you wanting to get into CO2 setups down the line then it wouldnt be a bad thing. Just do lots of research and ask questions here if you ever need some clarification.

Try to give the plants about at least a month to do their own thing and settle in. Your amazon swords will likely develop new leaves that live up to its name in that it's more sword-like. Often times these plants are grown emersed before being sold.

I don't see any wisteria as another member had mentioned... I'm guessing it was an identification for the plant in the back right, but it doesn't quite look like even the emersed form. My guess would be some kind or rotala? I'm not sure myself, we'll see how it settles in the next month or so.
I'm just now beepbopping back into this post and saw your comment and relooked at OP's photos, you're totally right, there doesn't look like there's any wisteria, I did mistake it from another plant lol. I got myself plants for my 55 long as well that night! Unfortunately for me, I also got snails! And oh boy, have they been multiplying and covering all my plants with babies! Can't wait for my tank to be cycled so I can add a few loaches in!

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BrynneAleks said:
I'm just now beepbopping back into this post and saw your comment and relooked at OP's photos, you're totally right, there doesn't look like there's any wisteria, I did mistake it from another plant lol. I got myself plants for my 55 long as well that night! Unfortunately for me, I also got snails! And oh boy, have they been multiplying and covering all my plants with babies! Can't wait for my tank to be cycled so I can add a few loaches in!
Oh boy! I like snails but I had too much running rampant in my 55 at one point. I think I finally got it under control after scraping them off the walls and removing some really porous rocks and driftwood where I suspected to be eggs and babies' refuge for a couple days consecutively.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:

DSCN4475.JPG
Beautiful planted tank, are there any fish in there?

New Threads