Question Too Many Plants?

bettafins

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase more plants for my tank and I’m wondering if there is such a thing as too many plants. As of right now I have 2 anubias plants and a java fern in a 10 gallon tank with fluval stratum and I use seachem flourish. I want to add 5 Marimo moss balls, duckweed, and 2 Amazon sword plants. With my current tank size and soil/ liquid nutrients can I support and keep these plants healthy?

FreshwaterPhotog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To keep these plants healthy, they are fairly undemanding types of plants, but your aquarium lighting will be important. You need enough to keep them happy and healthy, but not so much that algae becomes a problem. You will have to experiment to see. I would fill up the tank to make sure algae can't take hold. Fast growing plants are best for this.

The only negative I can think of if you think you might have "too many plants," is depending on the fish in your tank, some prefer swimming space and if your tank gets too filled with plant leaves, they can't zoom back and forth like they like. So, it depends on what kind and size of fish you have and what they like. To me, the inhabitant's needs come first. So know what your fish friends require, then fully-plant the tank and be prepared to trI'm back if necessary. Enjoy!

OP
bettafins

bettafins

Reaction score
FreshwaterPhotog said:
The only negative I can think of is depending on the fish in your tank, some prefer swimming space and if your tank gets too filled with plant leaves, they can't zoom back and forth like they like. So, it depends on what kind and size of fish you have and what they like. To me, the inhabitant's needs come first. Enjoy!
I’m getting one betta and that’s all

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd like to say no there's no such thing as too many plants. But there is. For example if the entire surface of your water is covered with floating plants not much will get enough light below.

Also if there is not enough room and 2 different plants are getting there roots intertwined, one plant can kill the other.

New Threads