Question Too Many Otos. How Many Do You Think Might Work In A 29g?

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Last night I started shutting down my heavily planted 10g and moving its fish into a newer 29g.

I thought there were maybe ten otos in there (a pair spawned back in March) but there were actually twenty-nine.

My question is about food availability for them, not the tank's bioload.

The 29g is moderately planted and I have more plants I can transfer from the 10g once I figure out where to put them. I regularly supplement with algae wafers, zucchini, and have started dosing Bacter Ae.

I don't want to sell any but I will if this situation will be untenable for them. I want them healthy and happy.

Thoughts?

The 29g, which is still a work in progress:

IMG_20190811_1235316.jpg

IMG_20190810_2138296.jpg

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What you're already doing should help out a lot, only other thing I can thing of would be to just leave the lights on a bit longer since that tends to get a layer of biofilm growing faster, and can encourage a little bit of soft algae growth that the ottos can also munch on

omaxem

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have nothing of any use to tell you except congrats on a beautiful tank, on your 29 new pets and, erm... Hope all goes well? :emoji_sweat_smile: Fingers crossed.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The 10g is still full of anubias and java fern if anyone has suggestions for where to put them? There's also s. repens and wendtii crypts but I'm not as eager to have those in the 29g.

What you're already doing should help out a lot, only other thing I can thing of would be to just leave the lights on a bit longer since that tends to get a layer of biofilm growing faster, and can encourage a little bit of soft algae growth that the ottos can also munch on
Thanks for the tip! I was blasting the lights 12.5 hours a day prepping for their move-in and intended to shorten the photoperiod and intensity but perhaps I'll let them keep running that way for now. I think I need to curb the water lettuce though as it's growing like crazy and blocking light to the plants below.

I have nothing of any use to tell you except congrats on a beautiful tank, on your 29 new pets and, erm... Hope all goes well? :emoji_sweat_smile: Fingers crossed.
Thanks! I'm still a bit shocked and I'm not even sure I caught them all. The old tank's still running (giving tiny shrimp a chance to get bigger before moving) so we'll see what I find when I completely break it down.

@richie.p, might you have a suggestion about how much Bacter Ae to dose?

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are your Oto's breeding on their own JenC? I don't think you need to worry, you're doing everything right! Can you split them between the new and the old? Oto's in every tank are wonderful.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You've already got biofilm on all your plants especially any big leaf, also on all the glass, theres no reason why you can't mix 1/2 scoop of bactor AE in tank water and mix through and do the same again in three days that'll boost things for them. Then for the next couple of weeks just 1/2 scoop weekly then reduce to 1/4 that should do you proud,
Edit
Nice looking tank

Are you dripping them back in or taking a chance

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are your Oto's breeding on their own JenC? I don't think you need to worry, you're doing everything right! Can you split them between the new and the old? Oto's in every tank are wonderful.
They did! It was so unexpected. I was holding two of them in the 10g while I let the 29g cycle and mature and then boom - oto fry. :emoji_two_hearts:

Unfortunately I don't have more tanks to put them in. I have a 6g and the 29g that will stay but the 29g is supposed to replace the 10g and get me back down to two tanks...

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You've already got biofilm on all your plants especially any big leaf, also on all the glass, theres no reason why you can't mix 1/2 scoop of bactor AE in tank water and mix through and do the same again in three days that'll boost things for them. Then for the next couple of weeks just 1/2 scoop weekly then reduce to 1/4 that should do you proud,
Edit
Nice looking tank

Are you dripping them back in or taking a chance
Thanks, Richie. I will do exactly that with the Bacter Ae.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just looked in the old 10g that's being shut down and saw two more otos on the glass which makes at least 31. Apparently I didn't catch them all.

I'm watching the new tank carefully and hope things go well but IF I had to reduce their population by rehoming some - any suggestions for a more reasonable number?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you absolutely have to, I would say 15-20 would be more ideal, but I think your current situation is also doable without much more work

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you absolutely have to, I would say 15-20 would be more ideal, but I think your current situation is also doable without much more work
Thanks! I hope it does work. I'm just trying to think ahead in case it doesn't. So far they look well fed (full bellies) and at least two of them have found the food I'm supplementing.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Quick update: They're all doing well in the 29g! Full bellies, taking over the tank and not at all intimidated by the barbs, tetras, and gourami. I counted maybe 25 huddled together during my last water change and some were certainly hidden in the plants so I think they're doing okay. I have a video of them schooling that I can upload it anyone wants to see it?

can you share your setup? i so badly want oto fry!!
It wasn't intentional. I didn't even think it was a possibility. I was holding two otos in a VERY heavily planted, mature (2 yrs?) tank with no predators - only ember tetras and cherry shrimp with the two otos. Water parameters were 0-0-<5 (dosed nitrate but plants kept sucking them up), pH 7.5, GH 7, KH 9, temp about 78° F. 10g tank, Aquaclear 30 filter.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me laugh. A very unusual "problem" hahaha.
Right?!?

My LFS will have them. They did initially suggest I was mistaken, that they were pleco fry, because otos don't often breed in captivity. I provided pics and they agreed they were otos but I don't want to sell them if I can keep them fed and happy.

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally wouldn't call your issue a problem, rather, it seems more like a stroke of luck

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would leave them where they are if you really don’t want to part with them, they don’t have a huge bioload. I think you best start growing your own zucchini too to feed them all!
As long as you keep on top of general maintenance they should do fine & may even keep on spawning for you, you can corner the market in tank bred Oto’s!
I have I think 14/15 in a 20, should have been more but the neons got the fry from the last spawn, oto’s are one of my favourite fish lovely to see them doing so well for you.
Please upload the video, I’d love to see it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom