Too Many Mystery Snails! What Do I Do!?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by pongoandfriends22, Aug 22, 2019.

1. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    I used to have 2 mystery snails and it was one blue and one gold. However that gold was a male and the blue was a female. They had started breeding and I thought maybe I could let just one clutch hatch. BAD IDEA! There are about 23 snails not including the adults in this small 3.5 gallon. Not to mention my adult mystery snail shells keep eroding and no matter how many high calcium greens I feed them or even cuttlebone it doesn’t seem to help. At this point I don’t understand as it isn’t affecting the babies. If there is anyone willing to take some of the babies or even rescue these adults (the adults are really not doing good with the shells), I just need 50 post and then I can RAOK them! PLEASE HELP!

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
  3. OP
    OP
    pongoandfriends22

Ratings:
    +17
    I thought of that it’s just that I have a soft spot for these guys! I don’t know what to do without killing them though. Unfortunately my LFS won’t take them.

4. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    You’ve already got 8 messages - almost a sixth of the way to 50. You’ll get there quicker than you think.
    If you can get a food-safe plastic bin and cycle it, you can put some of the snails in there until they sell.

5. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Try craigslist too. I bet some people would take them off your hands if you give them away free. As for the shells, if your very serious you could make some snail jello with added calcium tablets crushed up in it, or dose liquid calcium, ir even let them chew on an unflavored tums. If you have soft water (like i do) supplimenting the calcium is necessary and sometimes an uphill battle. Remember to give them meaty foods as well, and do lots of water changes until you can get them new homes. Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    pongoandfriends22

Ratings:
    +17
    Thank you for the help! I think I might have to try that. But for now I might try to do RAOK!

7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
    shell erosion is usually acids in the water. its best to know what your pH, GH, and KH levels are so you can treat accordingly, and with the right amounts, especially if there are also fish in the tank. but if it is a snail only tank, then you can just add a bunch of crushed coral or cuttle bones into the tank and/or filter. but you probably don't want to add it all at once, due to shock. add a little the 1st week, then a little more the next, and so on and so forth.

8. OP
    OP
    pongoandfriends22

Ratings:
    +17
    That’s the problem. I’ve tried testing my pH and it’s at a good 7.2 in that tank at the moment. I tried cuttlebone but they don’t really touch it and the GH and KH are unknown as it didn’t come with my test kit. Every time I try to pick up the GH and KH test kits it’s almost always out of stock‍♀️

9. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    I ordered my gh/kh test kit from amazon. You could always try to order online and pick up in store from one of the chain places.

10. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The other snails can also be eating the shells of the adults. Try craigslist or offerup to give them away.

11. OP
    OP
    pongoandfriends22

Ratings:
    +17
    Thank you I’ll try that!

12. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
    the GH/KH kits are available on ebay for $10 shipped.

the snails don't need to eat the cuttlebone, the acids in the water react with it and it releases calcium and carbonate into the water.