Too many molly fry!!!

Mike1995

20200626_125758.jpg
20200626_125755.jpg
20200626_125634.jpg

Well, my white mollies had a whole bunch of fry. So far I've counted like 50. Will pet stores take any of these guys?

Wardonianfungus
I have the same exact problem right now too. If you have a smaller fish store you might be able to sell them but they probably won’t sell for more than 25 cents each.

KribensisLover1
Honestly If you leave them I. There they will thin out. Bc I think a pet store could use them as feeders this small.

MrBryan723
A pet store might take them for free. Locals on the internet might as well if you want to go that route.

kansas
this will be an ongoing issue if you keep live bearers.

MrBryan723
Nothing an acara or even ram couldn't fix.

Mike1995

I don't view it as a problem. it's rather exciting when it happens.

Nothing an acara or even ram couldn't fix.

I do have an apisto in there. He's been chasing them all over. However his mouth isn't big enough. Is there a dwarf cichlid that won't make a mess of plants?

KribensisLover1
Mike1995
What is your tank size? I LOVE having fish babies even when it’s bad bc of aggression with my Kribensis. The thing is I had a 20 long with golden panda mollies (2 males, 4 females; the one male hid as a female and was separated so don’t think he fathered any babies). The issue was that 3–4 of them had babies at the same time. So I had no joke 69 babies in the tank. So it was a mess! I do think the babies will thin out on their own, I just know that they can take over a tank FAST. So up to you. I had to rehome them HOWEVER I also had other isssues and had to make the tank free for some other fish so it worked out. How many mollies and what ratio m/f? My kribs have babies now and it’s wreaking havoc on the tank, yet I still love them and am excited. Oh and molly fry are so cute how they pop out mini adults.
B2A7373F-8E26-440F-ABC4-D11DFB89341C.jpeg
A9355D0D-2FBD-4F01-A9E0-50C30F6B3CEC.jpeg

Mike1995
Mike1995
What is your tank size? I LOVE having fish babies even when it’s bad bc of aggression with my Kribensis. The thing is I had a 20 long with golden panda mollies (2 males, 4 females; the one male hid as a female and was separated so don’t think he fathered any babies). The issue was that 3–4 of them had babies at the same time. So I had no joke 69 babies in the tank. So it was a mess! I do think the babies will thin out on their own, I just know that they can take over a tank FAST. So up to you. I had to rehome them HOWEVER I also had other isssues and had to make the tank free for some other fish so it worked out. How many mollies and what ratio m/f? My kribs have babies now and it’s wreaking havoc on the tank, yet I still love them and am excited. Oh and molly fry are so cute how they pop out mini adults. View attachment 709120View attachment 709121

90g

KribensisLover1
O hahahah how many mollies? Just curios not telling you what to do. They’re cute!!

Mike1995
O hahahah how many mollies? Just curios not telling you what to do. They’re cute!!

Not counting the fry, I have
6 gold panda lyretail mollies
4 marble lyretail mollies
3 white mollies
1 black molly
4 dalmatian lyretail mollies
4 orange marigold swordtails
4 neon swordtails
4 red wag swordtails
12 panda cories

Maybe a little overstocked but I have a huge amount of filtration and 50-75% water changes every week.

20200617_140821.jpg

KribensisLover1
Also here are pics of my Krib babies. The first/second day 6/20

F6ADB9B5-7BBA-4C78-88E2-0A8702B41BD4.jpeg
Then 6/23
DD268F9F-C30B-4D37-85E5-DAF0E405590B.jpeg
Then today 6/27
There are more than you can see today probably 15 yet you can see how much they’ve thinned out. Fry eats other fry etc etc bc krib parents are incredible and very protective so not many other fishes can get to the babies.
AED39EAF-87AB-4B8C-A3F8-B28E730FEF5F.jpeg

4239293F-84FB-4503-8C08-A6D81FBF0DF6.jpeg

Mike1995
Also here are pics of my Krib babies. The first/second day 6/20

Then 6/23
Then today 6/27
There are more than you can see today probably 15 yet you can see how much they’ve thinned out. Fry eats other fry etc etc bc krib parents are incredible and very protective so not many other fishes can get to the babies.

That's awesome! How big do those fish get?
Would they be okay in a tank full of mollies?

KribensisLover1
That's awesome! How big do those fish get?
Would they be okay in a tank full of mollies?
I love them. So imho it’s all about the personalities of the Krib. Crazy as that sounds. I had a large male who terrorized my golden panda mollies bc he was a bully. Then when he mated it was awful. However no fins were nipped. I felt bad bc the mollies aren’t used to that. Like the other Kribs are more likely to not be upset imho. So I think a single krib might be okay. Any thoughts anybody? Also my male was huge.

And the male was huge when I got him. These ones are babies born 6 months ago now this size. So not sure how long they will take to be large. AND they are mostly females who stay much smaller.

Ps if you live near Maryland you can have some of the babies in a few weeks! Otherwise the parent’s will turn on them. I have another tank I can put them in yet I don’t want to have to bc babies will keep coming and the tank can only hold so many! It would have been a lot easier to have all females & no babies yet they’re so darn cute I can’t be disappointed. LoL.

Mike1995
Ps if you live near Maryland you can have some of the babies in a few weeks! Otherwise the parent’s will turn on them. I have another tank I can put them in yet I don’t want to have to bc babies will keep coming and the tank can only hold so many! It would have been a lot easier to have all females & no babies yet they’re so darn cute I can’t be disappointed. LoL.

I'm in Pennsylvania so maybe I could get some from you

KribensisLover1
I'm in Pennsylvania so maybe I could get some from you
That would be awesome! I hope people agree that they will be okay in the tank. You can always try and then bring them back to me too. Last time they were almost all females and that’s bc of pH. So that’s likely to happen again and that’s way easier.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Mum
Top Bottom