too many jack dempseys.

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by dano569, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dano569Valued MemberMember

i have one 6 inch dempsey,one 3 inch,and one 2 inch.they are in a 55 gallon and i was just wondering if anyone thought it was possible to keep 3 in a tank that size.the 2 bigger ones are males and i think the smallest is a female.that would be the one i would get rid of if i had too.there is also 3 convicts,2 firemouths,1 venestus,1 livingstoni,2 plecos,and a couple of catfish,and loaches.i don't want to give that one back but i don't want them to be overcrowded either.i got her before i got the biggest one and the only reason i got that one because a friend had it in another tank and it was getting beat up.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Dano I don't know much about JD's but Gunnie does. Maybe she'll be by soon ;)
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    d

dano569Valued MemberMember

thanks,i know some about them i just didn't want the female to make the two males fight all the time.i had a similar situation when i first got my convicts,i had 2 males and a female and the dominant male was even meaner. :mad:

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Dano,
    I'm afraid your tank is way overstocked. I would not have more than 2 jack dempseys in a 55 just by themselves. The venustus can grow up to 10 inches long, and really needs to be in at least a 100 gal. tank. Also, it's usually disaster when you mix african and new world cichlids. Your variety sounds like a very beautiful selection, but I'm afraid you are going to have many casualties as the fish mature and grow. Your situation sounds like a perfect excuse to get more and bigger tanks! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice