Too many fry

Discussion in 'Platy' started by powwow, Aug 5, 2015.

1. p

powwow Valued Member Member

So I bought 3 platy fish a while back and they were all pregnant. My black skirt tetras didn't get enough of the fry. I have a 30g and a 20g but I don't think that's enough. They are pretty big now and swimming with the adults. Don't want to flush them. I'm doing 10% water changers on both tanks every few days and cleaning the gravel. So far the water testing is coming out good. I have a 50 and a 70 aquaclear and a uv sterilizer running in the 30g. It's stocked with 6 long finned black skirts, 4 platty and 2 Cory, and now probably 30 platty fry between both tanks.
    Anybody found themselves in this situation? I feel a disaster coming.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I feel your struggle, lol. I have about 50 in a 20g right now and another 20 or so in my main tank waiting to be moved. Some lfs will take fry, it'd be worth asking around. I know my petco here takes them as well as another privately owned shop .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

When I was a kid I had a 29 gal with only 3 platy. My dad warned me that I had to cull, ( that is code for feed his cichlids the fry). Didn't have the heart to do that, every LFS in town was turning me away as I stood in the isles, with buckets filled with my not so cute any more platys. They weren't selling as fast as my fish were reproducing.
    I had to expand the platy factory tank to 2 , 55 gallon . I was having to do so very many water changes to just keep the tanks from crashing. Then it happened the disease of doom, columnaris ! It happened fast ,the carnage was massive. Lesson learned.

4. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

My son has platys. The first (so far) fry were eaten. Horrible of me to say but I was almost glad for it (but also that I didn't have to witness the cannibalism).

When I realized there was a female in there (too late!) and then saw she was pregnant, I kind of freaked out. lol I was like "What the heck are we going to do?" My son, (16 and always a smart-mouth) said "I don't know, mom but chill. You're acting like *I* got her pregnant!" :;laughing

I still don't know what I'm going to do next time. Ack! There will be no more platys after these. I could deal with "disposing" of eggs. But once they are swimming, that's a whole different story.

5. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Umm, do you have any large cichlids?:;jaws

6. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

^^ LOL

No but I wish I did. And for some reason, the husband isn't keen on a third tank? I mean, just because we don't have the room for it and it might mean getting rid of the TV.... some people are just so unreasonable. lol

Edit to clarify: That's not why I wish for a cichlid tank. And I'd probably feel bad doing it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

This is why I'm glad I have huge cichlids, haha. They help me keep my livebearer populations down. In fact, just tonight they got some guppy fry.

I always feel kind of bad doing it, but it's nature.

8. OP
    OP
    p

Yes, I admit I got excited when all these fry turned up in my tank, I shouldn't have saved so many. I didn't want them to die. This from a farm boy who chopped the heads off mom's chickens and turkeys every fall!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

It's okay, I did the same thing when I had platies and they had their first fry! I collected as many as I could to try to save them, and then I realized when they started getting big that I didn't have anywhere to put them. I just kept them with their parents and did more water changes, haha.

10. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

Off topic, and it might be because I'm very new here and to English speaking forums, but I've seen it a few times already... when you say "flush them", do you literally mean that? Flushing them down the toilet? Why would you even consider doing that? I'm sure there are shops nearby that would love to take them or even fish groups in your area.

Again, it might be a form of speech, I am just not sure.

11. OP
    OP
    p

Sorry Reyes, not to worry, I was trying to be a bit funny. I wouldn't flush a healthy fish down the toilet. I can't apologize about butchering the chickens and turkeys every fall for my mom. They tasted great.

12. sparkles22

sparkles22 Valued Member Member

And this is why I got a 20 g second tank along with my 55 I let them breed in my main tank and catch what survives for my daughter to raise in the nursery tank

Anyone looking for some platys I have Starburst neons.. and possibly a long finned mickey mouse... lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

That's exactly what I do, let them birth in the main tank and scoop everyone out into their own 20g a week or two later. My adults have completely quit eating the babies though, they just ignore them. ...it's getting kind of out of hand, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. sparkles22

sparkles22 Valued Member Member

Lol pretty much... I found a new baby today and out it went into the fry tank

There are more in there I know it...... my angels may have a yummy snack later though

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. f

fishfisher Valued Member Member

You gals and guys may look into the aqua swap on this forum. Or craigslist. You'll need to get over 50 posts, but you'll be able to at least put them up for adoption.
    Also, you may try feeding the bigger fish less. Why chase after food when you can wait to be fed? Don't feed them for a couple of days and see what happens.
    Another option is get rid of one sex.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. OP
    OP
    p

Every couple of weeks I have been bringing platy fry to the Petland store. I think I am just about to reach the NOT overstocked level. But I'm surprised I haven't had any problems. I've been doing water changers every two days and I think now I can stretch that out.

17. A

Aksammi New Member Member

Oh boy. I live two hours from a pet store. This won't be good for me.

18. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

Well, that's one of the main problems when you're planning to keep livebearers. Most livebearers (so, not all of them... ) are very reproductive. Before you know it, the whole tank is overcrowded...

Overhere, I also have certain type of livebearers which aren't that reproductive. Because I'm active within a broad network of livebearer keepers and breeders (both national and international), I don't have to worry about not being able to get rid of my overstock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice