Too many fish?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, quick question...

I have a 5 gallon tank, and right now I have 3 neon tetras, a female guppy, and a serpae tetra. I was thinking about getting one or two more of the neon tetras...

Does anyone think that this would be overstocking? Thanks!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Unfortunately the tank is already way overstocked. Very few fish can live happily in a 5 gallon. The fish you have now are best in at least a 10 gallon because they need a lot of swimming space, but a 20 gallon would be better so the serpae tetra can be in a school of at least 5. Is there any chance you can upgrade or rehome the fish and get one suitable for your tank? I wish I had better news.

-Lisa

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO - you're already fully stocked.

If you can get yourself a 10 gallon, it'd be better as your tetras will probably outgrow a 5 gallon, and you'd be able to add another couple of neons.

Just for future reference too, all tetras will tend to do better in schools of 5 or more.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That is kind of what I was expecting, thanks for the replies!
I am working on finding an upgrade right now... Trying to find a tank that will fit into the space we have and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
Found some on Craigslist, but I'm hesitant in case there are any problems with them.
I'm hoping to move up to something that is at least 20 gallon, hopefully more!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore, Paigee.

Loads of people have gotten tanks from craigslist. Of course, buying a used tank is always risky, but usually the price is worth the risk.

If you want, on the main fishlore page, on the right side is a list of fish. You can click on the ones you have, and it links you to the care sheets for those fish, which include minimum tank size, food requirements, compatibility, etc.

You probably want to return the serpae if you can. I don't have any, but everything I've read says they are extremely nippy.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The serpae was nippy a bit with the neons to begin with, but it doesn't do that anymore. I always check their tales because it was a problem for the first month or so but everything is fine now.
I feel so bad that I'm overcrowding them! I'm going tomorrow to Petsmart with my boyfriend to look into getting a new tank, measurements in hand!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Excellent. Keep us posted.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads