Too many fish? 55 Gallon Tank 

cmbfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. About 5 weeks ago I purchased (progressively) 1 male betta, 2 x male dwarf gourami, 2 x rainbow fish, 1 x angel fish, 2 clown loach (though one died), 5 neon tetras and 5 zebra danios for my 55 gallon tank, all of the fish seem to get along quite well but they are all still small. They assured me at the pet store they should get along OK and that this was not too many fish for the tank . I'm wondering if it is too many, and if it isn't I would like to purchase more 5 more Tetras, Danios and another Clown loach. I would appreciate any advice

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi cmbfish, Welcome to Fishlore! I'm sorry to say that your petstore has misinformed you somewhat. Your Dwarf Gouramis, Angelfish, Rainbowfish, Neon Tetras and Zebra Danios are all good community fish, however it's not a good idea to keep 2 Dwarf Gouramis in the same tank, as they are aggressive towards each other, and your Angelfish may well eat your Neon Tetras as it grows. Bettas do not do well with other fish, and are best kept in their own, heated, filtered tank, 5-10 gallons. Male Bettas kept with other fish will usually end up being killed, or killing other fish. Clown Loaches grow huge, up to 12 inches, and really need a bigger tank than a 55 gallon.

Sorry to give you some bad news, but a lot of people make mistakes such as these when first starting out keeping Tropical fish. This site is a great place full of friendly, knowledgable people who will be more than happy to help out and answer any questions you may have.

My advice would be to return the Betta and Clown Loaches to the store if possible, and see if you can exchange them for some more suitable fish. 55 gallons is a good sized tank, and there are heaps of different fish who will live happily in a tank this size.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm afraid I agree with Nick Goody The bettas and the gouramis should definetly not all be together. The Dwarf Gouramis will probably fight over territory, but then again, in a 55 gallon tank that might not be as much of an issue than in a smaller tank. The betta should be by himself, unless you want to tempt fate and end up with a huge fallout

Depending on what state you're in, you can get great little aqua one starter kits (I got a 21 litre for $60, they also had 12(?) litre ones for $50 all at Petstock - all you need to buy is a heater). Your betta would love a tank of their own that size A few other Aussie members have similar starter kits for their bettas too.

The clown loaches do get rather big, and they need to be in a school I think it would be best to return the loach and one dwarf gourami, then look at what else you could put in the tank I'm sorry to have bad news for you, but the general opinion here is that many petstores are just looking to make a buck. I've been told ridiculous things as to what fish are suitable for my tank, so now I rely on trusty research before buying

Sorry for the essay lol feel free to ask us anymore questions, we're always happy to help

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello CMBFish and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site. Some great information above.

Best wishes!
Ken

cmbfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for feed back. I did feel as though there wouldn't be enough room for the clown loaches when they reach full size. I will be very sad to take it back as it is lovely to watch as it plays around all of the time. I might just see what happens with the betta as he is quite placid. I do have access to another small tank so if things look like getting nasty I can easily put him in another tank. I will definitely take a dwarf gourami back to the store but not sure, do they live happily enough with just one? or would a female be OK to get. I have heard that a pair can become aggressive aswell.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi and welcome to the forum! I agree with reveryone else. For me I think that you should get a second tank( 10 gallons maybe?) To rehome your betta.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads