Too many fish for 29 gallon?

paige4706

I have a 29 gallon tank
Is this too many fish (I have them in there at the moment)

1 blue angelfish
8 zebra danio
7 corydora
1 bamboo shrimp
15+ Malaysian trumpet snails (sand substrate)
1 mystery snail

tank is planted (about to add a few more plants also!)
Current plants
See attached photos for plants and lay out :)

1 Amazon award
Several Dwarf hair grass
4 pogostemon stellatus octopus
7 crypts
And one “cardinal” stem plant
2 tiger lily bulbs
Java fern
Tank parameters
78 degrees
0 ppm ammonia
0.25ppm nitrite (after adding the danios) hopefully will be I fixed in a couple days!
10ppm nitrate
7.2 ph
75 ppm GH
120-180 ppm KH
F03F070A-AC81-4B47-A3FA-BD7456E49481.jpeg
F64CD6D7-2B22-417D-9101-71F28EE6C3FF.jpeg

CasperW

Angelfish is the only one i'd be wary of depending on the vareity you get also I'm pretty sure angelfish are meant to be in groups of two to limit aggression to other tankmates

Upvote 0

fallfever

A single angelfish is fine, but the 29 is ultimately a tight fit in a fairly crowded tank. I'd prefer something larger, but that's an opinion. Seems like a lot going on around the bottom of the tank, particularly if you have larger cories (ie, aeneus). Let's call it heavily stocked and in need of strong filtration at the least (read:eek:verfilter). You could be challenged to keep water parameters in line. On a positive note, the tank looks good.

Upvote 0

paige4706

A single angelfish is fine, but the 29 is ultimately a tight fit in a fairly crowded tank. I'd prefer something larger, but that's an opinion. Seems like a lot going on around the bottom of the tank, particularly if you have larger cories (ie, aeneus). Let's call it heavily stocked and in need of strong filtration at the least (read:eek:verfilter). You could be challenged to keep water parameters in line. On a positive note, the tank looks good.

I have one angel it’s still a very small one I will upgrade tank to a 40 gallon in the next year as it grows for sure! I have a large sponge filter in there for filtration and a small one

the 7 corys are all smaller they are albino corys
Angelfish is the only one i'd be wary of depending on the vareity you get also I'm pretty sure angelfish are meant to be in groups of two to limit aggression to other tankmates
Right now it’s smaller and I haven’t see any aggression from it so far for the most part it leaves everyone alone :)
Also photo of size of angel right now :)
27E5EDC5-31B5-4CFF-9EDD-BAE061AC3DAC.jpeg

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

A little tight but honestly your fine.

You have lots of filteration capacity and have lots of live plants to keep things in check!

Upvote 0

CasperW

I agree it looks fine but keep an eye on it

Upvote 0

paige4706

A little tight but honestly your fine.

You have lots of filteration capacity and have lots of live plants to keep things in check!
Okay awesomeness I did have a tiny nitrite spike when added the zebras but I’ve been added the stress coat to help with that “make it less of a worry” it’s at 0.25 ppm
I figured it might be a tiny bit tight after thinking on it more I am planning of getting a 40 breeder or a 55 later on after the angel grows up more within the next year or so!

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Okay awesomeness I did have a tiny nitrite spike when added the zebras but I’ve been added the stress coat to help with that “make it less of a worry” it’s at 0.25 ppm
I figured it might be a tiny bit tight after thinking on it more I am planning of getting a 40 breeder or a 55 later on after the angel grows up more within the next year or so!
Yeah just keep and eye on that. Nitrite at 0.25 ppm is not considered toxic so dont worry about it.

To keep parameters in check I would suggest putting the roots of houseplants in ur tank. Check out my article below on that (houseplants "in" fish tanks)

Upvote 0

paige4706

Yeah just keep and eye on that. Nitrite at 0.25 ppm is not considered toxic so dont worry about it.

To keep parameters in check I would suggest putting the roots of houseplants in ur tank. Check out my article below on that (houseplants "in" fish tanks)
Since the 0.25 I’ve been checking everyday it’s been 2 days like that so hopefully within the next day or so it will clear up and yes!!!

I planed on adding some of my pothos (devils ivy) to the back of the tank after I get the Italian vallisneria I just ordered I love the grass look and I’m going to take out the Anubis that behind the rock house and put it in my 10 gallon :)

Upvote 0

Bezzzzzy24

I have a 29 Gallon with an Angel as well had other fish but just like some said the water parameters started to become effected. Currently i have an Aquaclear 50 and a sponge filter on the tank. Tank mates are a Bristle nose pleco and a Bolivian ram. The Ram is probably a little much but with your stocking you should be ok. Just keep an eye on the Levels and do weekly water change. Hopefully that works for you. Keep in mind too the 40 Breeder if I’m not mistaken is actually not as high of a tank as the 29 gallon.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
paige4706
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Compatibility Question
Replies
Views
3876T
  • Question
Replies