Too many Endler's and tank mates in a 10 gallon tank ?

Chitrani

Hey there Ya'll !

I currently have way too many tanks sitting dry and was looking at creating some Nano tanks. I had promised myself Endler's Livebearer's before the pandemic, so I am thinking of making good on that promise.

I saw one site that said that for every ten Gallons of Endlers they had, I think it was 3 Cory's, 20 shrimp, and a 3 snails in the tank. This seems excessive !

Looking for some guidance here. I currently have 3 ten gallon, 2 twenty gallon, 2 thirty gallon tanks unstocked, as well as the 2 gallon "Friend or family or neighbor felt bad about poor sick betta in Walmart cup, so they 'rescued' it and gave it to me" tank. Not too worried about population increase.

Tank will be heavily live planted and likely over filtered, lol.

What numbers do ya'll think are best for that sort of set up?

Also French Blue stars or Japanese blue? (Having trouble deciding, likely to get both eventually:)

PeterFishKeepin

IMO i would chose Japanese blue endlers. cant really help you with stocking.

Chitrani

IMO i would chose Japanese blue endlers. cant really help you with stocking.
Thanks ! there are so many awesome varieties of Endlers it is difficult to choose !

airfix2

if you want tank mates with endlers, then you could probably put 3-5 endler males. if you want to have just endlers, then you could do 8-10 males. the reason i reccomend only males is that these guys will breed like rabbits if you put any females in the tank, and soon you will have an overstocked tank. also, endlers make a great cleanup crew IMO.

Chitrani

if you want tank mates with endlers, then you could probably put 3-5 endler males. if you want to have just endlers, then you could do 8-10 males. the reason i reccomend only males is that these guys will breed like rabbits if you put any females in the tank, and soon you will have an overstocked tank. also, endlers make a great cleanup crew IMO.
Endlers as a cleanup crew? Never heard of that !

Not really worried about overstocking since I have so many tanks, lol.

Breeding like rabbits is fun ! Especially since I have rabbits !

airfix2

Endlers as a cleanup crew? Never heard of that !

Not really worried about overstocking since I have so many tanks, lol.

Breeding like rabbits is fun ! Especially since I have rabbits !
if you want to breed them, then having there be more females then males is the way to go. this is because the females will need a break from the males constant flirting.

Noroomforshoe

You should never keep just 3 cories, 6 is a bare minimum, 9 is my recommendation, a ten-gallon tank is not ideal for cories because of this. Pygmy cories may seem tempting but I recommend at least a 20 gallon for pygmies as you should plan to keep a larger number of 12 or so. I agree with Airfix2 about the number of endlers, and about not breeding in a 10 gallon.

Chitrani

if you want to breed them, then having there be more females then males is the way to go. this is because the females will need a break from the males constant flirting.
The last time I did livebearers, I started with a ratio of 2 females to each male. The males were so randy I ended up with about 4 females to each male ! Not sure how Endlers are going to go but, I always like to have both males and females.

You should never keep just 3 cories, 6 is a bare minimum, 9 is my recommendation, a ten-gallon tank is not ideal for cories because of this.
Good point ! I've mostly had cories in my 20 and 30 gal tanks and really should have thought that through.

Which makes me wonder. Given that I've a variety of tanks in 10, 20 and 30 gallon sizes, maybe a 20 or thirty gallon would be better for this project ?

But then what goes in the 10 gallon as a nano tank ? lol

Flyfisha

My choice is to have females in one tank and males in another.
A female or two of my choosing gets time with a male of my choosing. After that one dance of say 3 days them male is removed. That leads to more than enough fry for the next 3 months. And for me more than enough work separating the juveniles before they can breed.

I have 3 adult females in a 68 litre/17 gallon with a few dozen fry it’s manageable. I know only one is dropping fry .
image.jpgA ten gallon would work in my opinion but not colony breeding. Just one or two females at a time a few months apart.

We all keep fish in different ways. A ten gallon with a soup colony will work I am sure but one you will be forever doing water changes and two you have zero control over what breeds with what.

Edit
You ask what goes in the ten. They make great grow out tanks for juveniles.

Chitrani

That makes sense !

And it's very close to how those three tanks were used last, lol. ( t'was grow out tank for Mollies :)

It's so organized that way !

Question though...the male doesn't harass the female to death in those three days?

Asking because My Mollie males were extremely aggressive breeders.

I was debating just last night on getting a more expensive ( for me) Breeding trio, and liking this idea even more because then I don't have to decide which Endlers to get I could get a trio of the French Blue stars and a trio of the Japanese Blue and separate them into boys and girls !

That works, doesn't it?

Laughing as suddenly all my tanks fill up again :p

P.S. Thanks so much for piccies! Which type of Endlers have you got?

Flyfisha

I had a single female accidentally get put as a small juvenile into the male only tank. She survived for many months in a tank of one hundred males long enough to grow into an adult and drop a couple of batches of fry. That was my experience for better or worse that was what I have seen with my own eyes.

I have not lost a female by adding a single male female into a tank for a few days. I do however add a couple of extra females when the male is removed.

We have a very limited selection of endlers to choose from in Australia. Just a handful of colours to work with. No real true wild type. Nothing with papers. All Australian endlers are technically endler/guppies . I have what looks a bit like Japanese blue endlers and am working on trying to get a longer tail without using a guppy to cross breed.
image.jpg

Chitrani

Wow , what an awesome-looking Endler ! Good job ! So glad that single female survived and you haven't lost any, that way.

I've only seen one place so far that appears to sell "registered" Endlers and didn't know that was a thing until about 3 days ago, so I've got a learn to learn there. It's one of the things I love about this hobby. I'm constantly learning new things about new Aquatic creatures. I've only just started learning about the classification system.

I'm in the states where there is a confusing variety of Endlers and guppies and cross breeds and...it's prolly much less complicated after you've done it for a while :)

That looks like an awesome long tail from here BTW !

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Celtickaos
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
feeshi